Utah State men's tennis was defeated by Montana State, 4-3, Friday in Bozeman, Mont. The Aggies won two of the doubles matches securing the point, but only came out with two wins in singles competition. Play took place at the Bobcat-Anderson Tennis Center.
At No. 1 singles, senior Sven Poslusny came up with a win for the Aggies when he took down Montana State's Niklas Brandes in straight sets (6-3, 6-4). Sophomore Sean Levesque also came out with a win when he defeated Harry James in straight sets at the No. 5 singles position (6-4, 7-6). In the No. 2 spot, junior Fredrik Peterson fell to Javier Martin-Morillas in straight sets (7-5, 6-3), and at the No. 3 spot, sophomore Matt Sweet was defeated by Markus Schleuter in straight sets (6-2, 6-1). At the No. 4 spot, sophomore Curran Wearmouth fell in straight sets to Diego Campos (6-2, 6-1), and at No. 6 singles, junior Brandon Nielson was defeated by Prithiv Sivasubramanian in three sets (5-7, 6-1, 6-3).
In doubles action, Poslusny and Sweet were defeated in the first position by Brandes and Campos (8-6). In the second position, Peterson and Levesque took down Schleuter and Martin-Morillas (9-8). In the third doubles position, junior Andrew Whiting and Wearmouth defeated James and Sivasubramanian (8-4).
The Aggies will remain in Montana to compete Saturday, Feb. 23, against Montana State-Billings. Play will begin at 9 a.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28