Utah State men's tennis was defeated by Montana State, 4-3, Friday in Bozeman, Mont. The Aggies won two of the doubles matches securing the point, but only came out with two wins in singles competition. Play took place at the Bobcat-Anderson Tennis Center.
At No. 1 singles, senior Sven Poslusny came up with a win for the Aggies when he took down Montana State's Niklas Brandes in straight sets (6-3, 6-4). Sophomore Sean Levesque also came out with a win when he defeated Harry James in straight sets at the No. 5 singles position (6-4, 7-6). In the No. 2 spot, junior Fredrik Peterson fell to Javier Martin-Morillas in straight sets (7-5, 6-3), and at the No. 3 spot, sophomore Matt Sweet was defeated by Markus Schleuter in straight sets (6-2, 6-1). At the No. 4 spot, sophomore Curran Wearmouth fell in straight sets to Diego Campos (6-2, 6-1), and at No. 6 singles, junior Brandon Nielson was defeated by Prithiv Sivasubramanian in three sets (5-7, 6-1, 6-3).
In doubles action, Poslusny and Sweet were defeated in the first position by Brandes and Campos (8-6). In the second position, Peterson and Levesque took down Schleuter and Martin-Morillas (9-8). In the third doubles position, junior Andrew Whiting and Wearmouth defeated James and Sivasubramanian (8-4).
The Aggies will remain in Montana to compete Saturday, Feb. 23, against Montana State-Billings. Play will begin at 9 a.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Photos: BYU welcomed by fans at Provo Airport
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 107
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 80
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 34
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 30
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 30