Utah State men's tennis was defeated by Montana State, 4-3, Friday in Bozeman, Mont. The Aggies won two of the doubles matches securing the point, but only came out with two wins in singles competition. Play took place at the Bobcat-Anderson Tennis Center.
At No. 1 singles, senior Sven Poslusny came up with a win for the Aggies when he took down Montana State's Niklas Brandes in straight sets (6-3, 6-4). Sophomore Sean Levesque also came out with a win when he defeated Harry James in straight sets at the No. 5 singles position (6-4, 7-6). In the No. 2 spot, junior Fredrik Peterson fell to Javier Martin-Morillas in straight sets (7-5, 6-3), and at the No. 3 spot, sophomore Matt Sweet was defeated by Markus Schleuter in straight sets (6-2, 6-1). At the No. 4 spot, sophomore Curran Wearmouth fell in straight sets to Diego Campos (6-2, 6-1), and at No. 6 singles, junior Brandon Nielson was defeated by Prithiv Sivasubramanian in three sets (5-7, 6-1, 6-3).
In doubles action, Poslusny and Sweet were defeated in the first position by Brandes and Campos (8-6). In the second position, Peterson and Levesque took down Schleuter and Martin-Morillas (9-8). In the third doubles position, junior Andrew Whiting and Wearmouth defeated James and Sivasubramanian (8-4).
The Aggies will remain in Montana to compete Saturday, Feb. 23, against Montana State-Billings. Play will begin at 9 a.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Deseret News 2014 NFL Mock Draft: Where are...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- High school sports: Tuesday's roundup
- U. student government passes resolution... 105
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Doug Robinson: Utah Jazz have come full... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19