Ravell Call, Deseret News
PROVO, Utah – The No. 2 BYU men’s volleyball team earned its fifth sweep of the season on Friday night after a 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-15) victory over the visiting Pacific Tigers.
"I was glad we finished the way we did," BYU head coach Chris McGown said. "I didn’t think we started with very much energy. We were content to let them make mistakes rather than us go score points. I was glad to see that we finished strong. We had a really nice third set and we actually had one of our better passing nights. We’ve been working on that, so it’s nice to see that coming around a little bit."
The Cougars hit .265 as a team compared to .133 from the Tigers.
After a couple errors from Pacific, BYU took an early 3-1 lead in set one, but the Tigers fought their way back in it. The set tied up at 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s before it was Pacific’s turn to take the lead at 8-6. This time the Cougars fought back, tying the score at 9-9. The teams traded points from there until a Taylor Sander kill sparked BYU on a 5-0 run to give them a 20-15 advantage and the eventual 25-20 set victory.
The teams traded points for much of the second set, until a 4-0 run in BYU’s favor gave the home team a 14-10 lead. The Cougars wouldn’t relinquish the lead through the set and took the 25-20 set victory for a 2-0 lead in the match.
Through two sets, Patch was leading all players with 10 kills and a .400 attack.
BYU took the lead right away in set three, going up 5-2 after an ace from Patch and reaching its largest lead of the match at 22-12. The Cougars took the dominating 25-15 set victory and finished the sweep.
"Stanford’s going to be a much different team tomorrow and they’re going to really, really bring it," McGown said. "We’re just going to try and refocus our energy and get some good rest tonight, and see if we can be better tomorrow."
The Cougars play again at home tomorrow at 7 p.m. MST hosting No. 5 Stanford. The match will be broadcast live on BYUtv.
Whitney Jordan works in the BYU Athletic Communications with the women's soccer and men's volleyball teams. She can be reached at email@example.com for questions relating to soccer and firstname.lastname@example.org for volleyball questions.
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 48
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 44