BATON ROUGE, La. — Another close game got away from BYU baseball, as it was defeated 4-1 by Southeastern Louisiana on Friday afternoon.
The Cougars (2-4) took a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the eighth inning after generating 10 hits and stalwart pitching by Adam Miller. Miller kept the Lions at bay through seven-plus innings and struck out six relying on his fastball, which exceeded 90 mph.
“Adam (Miller) was fantastic today,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “He dominated and we’re really happy with him.
“We were one ground ball away from finishing the eighth inning and four outs away from winning the game. It’s all about making plays and finishing. We’ve got to make the plays and find someone who can close it for us.”
BYU took a 1-0 lead in the eighth inning when Adam Law scored on Brock Whitney’s sacrifice fly. Law, Jaycob Brugman and Kelton Caldwell each had a pair of singles for the Cougars in the game.
The wheels came off in the bottom of the eighth off an infield single to tie the game, an RBI-triple, a suicide squeeze bunt and an RBI-double.
The Cougars get rematches on Saturday, first against Southeastern Louisiana (4-1) at 1 p.m. CST and ending with No. 2 LSU at 6.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 33
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 18
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14