BATON ROUGE, La. — Another close game got away from BYU baseball, as it was defeated 4-1 by Southeastern Louisiana on Friday afternoon.
The Cougars (2-4) took a 1-0 lead into the bottom of the eighth inning after generating 10 hits and stalwart pitching by Adam Miller. Miller kept the Lions at bay through seven-plus innings and struck out six relying on his fastball, which exceeded 90 mph.
“Adam (Miller) was fantastic today,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “He dominated and we’re really happy with him.
“We were one ground ball away from finishing the eighth inning and four outs away from winning the game. It’s all about making plays and finishing. We’ve got to make the plays and find someone who can close it for us.”
BYU took a 1-0 lead in the eighth inning when Adam Law scored on Brock Whitney’s sacrifice fly. Law, Jaycob Brugman and Kelton Caldwell each had a pair of singles for the Cougars in the game.
The wheels came off in the bottom of the eighth off an infield single to tie the game, an RBI-triple, a suicide squeeze bunt and an RBI-double.
The Cougars get rematches on Saturday, first against Southeastern Louisiana (4-1) at 1 p.m. CST and ending with No. 2 LSU at 6.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20