Book review: 'Things Hoped For' first of young women value books
"THINGS HOPED FOR: Of Great Value, Volume 1," by Emily Gray Clawson, CreateSpace, $11.99, 108 pages (f) (ages 12 and up)
Author Emily Gray Clawson has a unique vision for her latest project. She has chosen to focus a book on each of the eight young women values from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints which include: faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice and accountability, good works, integrity and virtue.
In “Things Hoped For,” the first book of the Of Great Value series, Clawson explores the value of faith from the point of view of a young woman striving for comfort.
Sixteen-year-old Fran is shattered by the death of her older sister, Anna, who was killed by a drunk driver. Suddenly everything Fran has been taught as a Mormon seems cloudy and distorted.
Fran seeks solace in the company of Seth, a talented art student facing deep pain of his own. Seth’s personal tragedies have propelled him to seek for truth and peace, but Fran is unsure if her struggling faith is strong enough to guide Seth to what he needs.
When the lives of these two teens become unalterably entangled by unexpected circumstances they must choose whether to trust their own faith or step away from the strength that only the Lord can offer.
This book is sweet and heartfelt. The plot is fairly simple, but the characters are genuine. Clawson’s scenes feel very sincere and the story is an earnest and quick read. The book is based entirely on trusting God and living a virtuous live in spite of struggles and trials.
The second book in the Of Great Value series is set to be released around Easter.
Melissa DeMoux is a stay-at-home mother of six young children who lives in West Valley City, Utah. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org and she blogs about her adventures in motherhood at demouxfamily.blogspot.com.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- The faith of a father, written in an old journal
- 10 ideas of what God looks like
- Can Israeli farmers plant 70k trees, reap...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 66
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 49
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs... 19
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 17
- New DVD tells story of David... 13
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary... 8
- Church leaders can learn from NFL... 7