Book review: 'Things Hoped For' first of young women value books
"THINGS HOPED FOR: Of Great Value, Volume 1," by Emily Gray Clawson, CreateSpace, $11.99, 108 pages (f) (ages 12 and up)
Author Emily Gray Clawson has a unique vision for her latest project. She has chosen to focus a book on each of the eight young women values from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints which include: faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice and accountability, good works, integrity and virtue.
In “Things Hoped For,” the first book of the Of Great Value series, Clawson explores the value of faith from the point of view of a young woman striving for comfort.
Sixteen-year-old Fran is shattered by the death of her older sister, Anna, who was killed by a drunk driver. Suddenly everything Fran has been taught as a Mormon seems cloudy and distorted.
Fran seeks solace in the company of Seth, a talented art student facing deep pain of his own. Seth’s personal tragedies have propelled him to seek for truth and peace, but Fran is unsure if her struggling faith is strong enough to guide Seth to what he needs.
When the lives of these two teens become unalterably entangled by unexpected circumstances they must choose whether to trust their own faith or step away from the strength that only the Lord can offer.
This book is sweet and heartfelt. The plot is fairly simple, but the characters are genuine. Clawson’s scenes feel very sincere and the story is an earnest and quick read. The book is based entirely on trusting God and living a virtuous live in spite of struggles and trials.
The second book in the Of Great Value series is set to be released around Easter.
Melissa DeMoux is a stay-at-home mother of six young children who lives in West Valley City, Utah. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org and she blogs about her adventures in motherhood at demouxfamily.blogspot.com.
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2