High school boys basketball: 5A state tournament capsules
As dominant as No. 1 Lone Peak has been throughout the 2012-13 basketball season, the outcome of next week’s 5A state tournament is probably a foregone conclusion. However, that doesn’t mean the state tournament will lack drama — in fact, far from it. Class 5A has been very balanced this season, and the “inevitable” battle for second place figures to be very competitive.
Realistically, as many as seven teams from the top half of the bracket (Alta, Bingham, Weber, Hunter, Syracuse, American Fork and Jordan) are good enough to win three straight games next week and advance to the state championship.
Lone Peak’s toughest test in the bottom half of the bracket, and perhaps the entire tournament, could come from Brighton in a potential semifinal matchup. It would be a rematch of last year’s 5A state championship, which was won easily by Lone Peak.
James Edward is the Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @dnewspreps
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove holds on...
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision on...
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies past...
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the football...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give Juan...
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 4
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes... 1
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove... 0
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0