WEST JORDAN — A man with a history of fleeing from authorities was arrested after law enforcers found him hiding in the back of a parked car.
Members of the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team were looking Thursday night for Marcus Alexander Garcia, 25, who had an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in court on an aggravated assault charge, another warrant for joyriding, and was believed to have led Utah Highway Patrol troopers on a short chase last week, said Jim Phelps, supervisory deputy U.S. marshal who heads JCAT in northern Utah.
A JCAT officer spotted Garcia in a car near the West Jordan area on Thursday night. After calling for backup, officers attempted to pull Garcia over near 7200 S. Jordan Landing Blvd. (3800 West), but he fled. Following a short chase, JCAT discontinued pursuit for safety reasons. A police vehicle was hit by Garcia and two other vehicles were sideswiped, Phelps said. Damage to all vehicles was minor and there were no injuries.
An unmarked car continued following from a distance, Phelps said.
The officer followed Garcia into a neighborhood near the Jordan Landing area. He lost sight of him but knew he was in the area, so additional officers from multiple agencies were called to surround the neighborhood, Phelps said.
Garcia's abandoned vehicle was located. Drug paraphernalia was found in the car, Phelps said. Police K-9s were called to track Garcia. He was found hiding in the backseat of a car that had been left the door unlocked and was parked in a driveway, he said.
Garcia was convicted in 2008 of burglary, simple assault and criminal mischief. In 2005, he was convicted of attempted robbery.
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any new...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- ACLU supports inmates' hunger strike, says...
- Illinois the top party school in the US; BYU...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- EPA's Clean Power Plan draws Utah criticism...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 50
- Herbert pleads with Obama to stop any... 39
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- ACLU supports inmates' hunger strike,... 22
- EPA's Clean Power Plan draws Utah... 19
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12