USU gymnastics: Aggies set to continue road trip at WAC rival No. 13 Denver on Saturday
Utah State gymnastics will continue its three-meet road trip this weekend in a quad-meet at No. 13 Denver with No. 17 Boise State and Rutgers University. Action is slated to begin at 6 p.m. (MT) on Saturday, Feb. 23, from DU’s Hamilton Gymnasium.
Competition between USU and Denver will count toward Western Athletic Conference standings.
The Pioneers are currently ranked No. 13 in the nation on the Troester/Gym Info ratings. With a season-best score of 196.600, they are averaging 195.796 on the season. Denver is 8-2 overall this season with a 2-0 WAC record. The team is coming off a dual-meet win at Illinois-Chicago. The Pioneers had an overall score of 195.850 over UIC’s 194.625.
Competing in the East Atlantic Gymnastics League, the Scarlet Knights have a season record of 7-8. With an average score of 193.592, RU is currently ranked No. 43 in the nation. Rutgers is coming off its best road score in school history, notching a 195.050 in a third-place finish at a tri-meet at No. 17 Maryland with No. 25 West Virgina.
The Broncos are 6-1 on the season but are yet to have a WAC competition. With a season-high score of 196.325 coming against BYU, Boise State is averaging a score of 195.555. The Broncos are coming off a quad-meet at No. 2 Oklahoma where the Sooners handed them their first loss of the season. They defeated BYU and Texas Woman’s with a score of 195.575.
Utah State and Denver have an extensive and tight competition history. DU has the slight edge over USU, leading 21-20 overall. Denver has a distinct home advantage, leading 11-3 from Hamilton Gymnasium. But the Aggies have the edge in Logan (7-6) and at neutral sites (10-4). This will be the first meeting between the Aggies and the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers.
The Aggies wrap up their road swing with a WAC dual-meet at Sacramento State on Friday, March 1. The team will have a quick turnound as it immediately hosts in-state rival BYU the following Monday, March 4.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Tanner Mangum's on-the-job training continues...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20