KAHUKU, Hawaii – BYU's men's golf team put together a complete team effort to shoot a two-over par 290 and jump to second place during round two of the John Burns Intercollegiate on Thursday.
Senior Zac Blair continued his strong play, converting four birdies and shooting a second round 70 (E). After two rounds, Blair is tied for third place at two-under-par, five strokes behind first place Joel Stalter of California.
"We’re playing in some really tough conditions," BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "Turtle Bay, the Palmer Course, is just an awesome championship course. This year the guys seem to be really focused. We’re hitting a lot of good shots."
The Cougars currently stand seven strokes ahead of third place Texas A&M (+13) and trail No. 1 California by 16 strokes heading into tomorrow's final round. California posted an impressive six-under-par 282 during Thursday's second round and sit at 10-under-par on the tournament.
Freshman Joe Parkinson had the best round of his young collegiate golf career, shooting a one-under-par 71. Parkinson repeated Wednesday's eagle on the par-5 12th hole with another eagle, in addition to converting two birdies during the second round. He currently is tied for ninth place on the individual leaderboard at three-over-par through 36 holes.
Juniors Justin Keiley and Jordan Hammer played with consistency during round two. Keiley, who shot a second round 73 (+1), currently sits at even-par and is tied for sixth place in the individual standings. Junior Jordan Hammer shot two birdies on the day and finished with a two-over-par 74.
Sophomore Devon Purser shot four birdies and finished round two with a two-over-par 74.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29