KAHUKU, Hawaii – BYU's men's golf team put together a complete team effort to shoot a two-over par 290 and jump to second place during round two of the John Burns Intercollegiate on Thursday.
Senior Zac Blair continued his strong play, converting four birdies and shooting a second round 70 (E). After two rounds, Blair is tied for third place at two-under-par, five strokes behind first place Joel Stalter of California.
"We’re playing in some really tough conditions," BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "Turtle Bay, the Palmer Course, is just an awesome championship course. This year the guys seem to be really focused. We’re hitting a lot of good shots."
The Cougars currently stand seven strokes ahead of third place Texas A&M (+13) and trail No. 1 California by 16 strokes heading into tomorrow's final round. California posted an impressive six-under-par 282 during Thursday's second round and sit at 10-under-par on the tournament.
Freshman Joe Parkinson had the best round of his young collegiate golf career, shooting a one-under-par 71. Parkinson repeated Wednesday's eagle on the par-5 12th hole with another eagle, in addition to converting two birdies during the second round. He currently is tied for ninth place on the individual leaderboard at three-over-par through 36 holes.
Juniors Justin Keiley and Jordan Hammer played with consistency during round two. Keiley, who shot a second round 73 (+1), currently sits at even-par and is tied for sixth place in the individual standings. Junior Jordan Hammer shot two birdies on the day and finished with a two-over-par 74.
Sophomore Devon Purser shot four birdies and finished round two with a two-over-par 74.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 76
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 63
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Annual instate college basketball... 37
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 30