KAHUKU, Hawaii – BYU's men's golf team put together a complete team effort to shoot a two-over par 290 and jump to second place during round two of the John Burns Intercollegiate on Thursday.
Senior Zac Blair continued his strong play, converting four birdies and shooting a second round 70 (E). After two rounds, Blair is tied for third place at two-under-par, five strokes behind first place Joel Stalter of California.
"We’re playing in some really tough conditions," BYU head coach Bruce Brockbank said. "Turtle Bay, the Palmer Course, is just an awesome championship course. This year the guys seem to be really focused. We’re hitting a lot of good shots."
The Cougars currently stand seven strokes ahead of third place Texas A&M (+13) and trail No. 1 California by 16 strokes heading into tomorrow's final round. California posted an impressive six-under-par 282 during Thursday's second round and sit at 10-under-par on the tournament.
Freshman Joe Parkinson had the best round of his young collegiate golf career, shooting a one-under-par 71. Parkinson repeated Wednesday's eagle on the par-5 12th hole with another eagle, in addition to converting two birdies during the second round. He currently is tied for ninth place on the individual leaderboard at three-over-par through 36 holes.
Juniors Justin Keiley and Jordan Hammer played with consistency during round two. Keiley, who shot a second round 73 (+1), currently sits at even-par and is tied for sixth place in the individual standings. Junior Jordan Hammer shot two birdies on the day and finished with a two-over-par 74.
Sophomore Devon Purser shot four birdies and finished round two with a two-over-par 74.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Living the dream: Controlled hoarding for a...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 121
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 66
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 32
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade... 11