Asher Swan, Asher Swan/ The Spectrum & Dail
CEDARY CITY — The Emery girls basketball team advanced to the semifinals of the 2A tournament with a 52-39 victory over Beaver on Thursday evening.
“I thought we played really good,” Emery coach Dean Stilson said afterward. “Beaver had a couple of runs that we managed to weather, and we played good defense.”
Although the Spartans held the lead throughout, Beaver made a couple of scoring runs — particularly when it had 21 points in the third quarter — that put Emery on high alert.
“Their best player is Snyder. We tried to limit her touches and her shots, and I thought we did a good job of that,” Stilson said. “Wood did do a little better job, but our game plan was to make sure the Snyder girl didn’t beat us.”
Beaver pulled to within three points early in the fourth quarter, but the Spartans quickly regained control to steadily extend their lead over the final six minutes.
On the offensive end of the floor, three different players reached double digits for Emery. Ashlyn Allred and Jeridi Price scored 13 points apiece and Hannah Dyer added 12 on four 3-pointers. Bailey Rasmussen pulled down 11 boards and scored nine points.
“We shot the ball really well, and that’s probably the big key,” Stilson said. “We shot the ball really well from the 3-point line and then our post players did a good job.”
Emery shot 41.7 percent from the floor and 38.9 percent from beyond the 3-point line.
Aiding the Spartans’ ability to find open outside looks was their ability to go inside first.
“We have some really quick guards, and they’re aggressive. They get after it,” Stilson said. “We’re quick and a lot of times that’s our favorite, if we can spread some people out.”
Starting guard Shelby Allred, who has been playing on an injured ankle, scored two points for Emery.
“She struggled a little bit, but still gave it all she had. So I was appreciative of Shelby and what she did today,” Stilson said of the senior.
The Spartans advance to the semifinal round and will play at 12:50 p.m. Friday. Beaver will play at 9:30 a.m. in the consolation bracket. Both games are at SUU.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008. EMAIL: email@example.com
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Damian Lillard stars in hilarious Adidas ad...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after...
- Danny Berger and Jordan Stone to play at...
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker reportedly...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment from...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 50
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 47
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 44
- ESPN report: Jabari Parker rules out... 42
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- Utah Jazz: Jazz suffer weird loss... 24
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24