High school boys basketball: Race Parsons leads South Sevier to quarterfinal win vs. North Summit
CEDAR CITY — Race Parsons knows how to take over a game.
Once the senior took control of South Sevier's 2A quarterfinal game against North Summit on Thursday, the Rams never looked back. The Region 15 champions sailed to victory at Southern Utah University, winning 56-32.
“(He) has kind of done that all year long,” head coach Scott Hunt said afterward.
Parsons scored 18 points in the game, 10 of them after halftime, and hit all four of his made field goals from behind the 3-point line.
“He’s developed himself into a player that has a lot of confidence, and he’s willing to shoot the ball whenever,” Hunt said.
Parsons also shot 6 of 8 from the foul line, grabbed 12 rebounds and dished out four assists.
“He’s more of a (leader) just by example and by his hard work and his effort,” Hunt continued. “He’s not a real verbal leader but he gets the job done.”
It was that effort that allowed the Rams to break their 12-point lead at the midpoint.
“We made some adjustments at halftime,” Hunt continued. “I think he stepped up and made some big plays, made some big shots, and gave us the cushion we needed.”
The Braves were led by Cameron Smith and Josh Birk, who scored 10 points apiece and combined for nine rebounds.
“North Summit, they’re a scrappy bunch and we certainly didn’t play our best,” Hunt said. “In the state tournament you win and move on. We’re fortunate to have moved on.”
The Rams move on the play Wasatch Academy in a highly anticipated semifinal matchup at 9:10 p.m. Friday. North Summit will meet Summit Academy at 4:10 p.m. in the consolation bracket. Both games will be played at SUU.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28