MOUNT OLYMPUS — Police were led to an apparent meth house Thursday while investigating a traffic accident.
The investigation began after a car traveling east on Bernada Drive (4535 South) at a high rate of speed veered through the westbound travel lane and into a yard before hitting a retaining wall, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said.
While officers were headed to the scene, a "good Samaritan" gave the driver of the car and his three young children a ride to their home, 4607 S. Fortuna Way, just a few blocks away.
Police arrived at the home to check for injuries and investigate the crash, but the driver was uncooperative and began to fight with the officers, Hoyal said. The man assaulted one officer while trying to take his Taser, and the altercation ensued until the officers were able to take the man into custody.
"The officers did a protective sweep of the home to check on the children's welfare, and in the process of checking on the children found evidence of a meth lab," Hoyal said.
A 2-year-old child and 1-year-old twins were the only other occupants of the home and were removed while the Unified Fire Authority hazardous materials team arrived to try and decontaminate the home.
The man and children were being held at the scene while narcotics detectives worked to obtain a search warrant for the home, Hoyal said.
The officers were also working with the Division of Child and Family Services to determine what to do with the children.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- South Jordan mayor says idea to split Jordan...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 19
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 14
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 13