Police investigating apparent meth house in Mount Olympus
MOUNT OLYMPUS — Police were led to an apparent meth house Thursday while investigating a traffic accident.
The investigation began after a car traveling east on Bernada Drive (4535 South) at a high rate of speed veered through the westbound travel lane and into a yard before hitting a retaining wall, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said.
While officers were headed to the scene, a "good Samaritan" gave the driver of the car and his three young children a ride to their home, 4607 S. Fortuna Way, just a few blocks away.
Police arrived at the home to check for injuries and investigate the crash, but the driver was uncooperative and began to fight with the officers, Hoyal said. The man assaulted one officer while trying to take his Taser, and the altercation ensued until the officers were able to take the man into custody.
"The officers did a protective sweep of the home to check on the children's welfare, and in the process of checking on the children found evidence of a meth lab," Hoyal said.
A 2-year-old child and 1-year-old twins were the only other occupants of the home and were removed while the Unified Fire Authority hazardous materials team arrived to try and decontaminate the home.
The man and children were being held at the scene while narcotics detectives worked to obtain a search warrant for the home, Hoyal said.
The officers were also working with the Division of Child and Family Services to determine what to do with the children.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Roy home destroyed in fire
- Man shot by roommate in Holladay, police say
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7