Police investigating apparent meth house in Mount Olympus
MOUNT OLYMPUS — Police were led to an apparent meth house Thursday while investigating a traffic accident.
The investigation began after a car traveling east on Bernada Drive (4535 South) at a high rate of speed veered through the westbound travel lane and into a yard before hitting a retaining wall, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said.
While officers were headed to the scene, a "good Samaritan" gave the driver of the car and his three young children a ride to their home, 4607 S. Fortuna Way, just a few blocks away.
Police arrived at the home to check for injuries and investigate the crash, but the driver was uncooperative and began to fight with the officers, Hoyal said. The man assaulted one officer while trying to take his Taser, and the altercation ensued until the officers were able to take the man into custody.
"The officers did a protective sweep of the home to check on the children's welfare, and in the process of checking on the children found evidence of a meth lab," Hoyal said.
A 2-year-old child and 1-year-old twins were the only other occupants of the home and were removed while the Unified Fire Authority hazardous materials team arrived to try and decontaminate the home.
The man and children were being held at the scene while narcotics detectives worked to obtain a search warrant for the home, Hoyal said.
The officers were also working with the Division of Child and Family Services to determine what to do with the children.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13