A season-long performance cycle of Felix Mendelssohn's five symphonies performed by the Utah Symphony will come to an end with concluding concerts Feb. 22 and 23 at 8 p.m. in Abravanel Hall.
Music director Thierry Fischer will lead the Utah Symphony during the final concerts, which will include Menselssohn's first and last symphonies, according to a news release. Also featured will be principal bass David Yavornitzky performing "Double Bass Concerto" by Hans Werner Henze.
Mendelssohn completed his first symphony at the age of 15. Symphony No. 1 showcases musical elements from composers such as Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. In Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 5 "Reformation," the well-known hymn "A Mighty Fortress is our God" is included, according to a news release.
Single tickets for the performance range from $18 to $53 and can be purchased by calling 801-355-ARTS (2787), at the Abravenel Hall ticket office (123 W. South Temple) or online at www.utahsymphony.org. Season ticket holders should call 801-533-NOTE (6683). Ticket prices will increase $5 when purchased on the day of the performance.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 78
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 37
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 28
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18