A season-long performance cycle of Felix Mendelssohn's five symphonies performed by the Utah Symphony will come to an end with concluding concerts Feb. 22 and 23 at 8 p.m. in Abravanel Hall.
Music director Thierry Fischer will lead the Utah Symphony during the final concerts, which will include Menselssohn's first and last symphonies, according to a news release. Also featured will be principal bass David Yavornitzky performing "Double Bass Concerto" by Hans Werner Henze.
Mendelssohn completed his first symphony at the age of 15. Symphony No. 1 showcases musical elements from composers such as Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. In Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 5 "Reformation," the well-known hymn "A Mighty Fortress is our God" is included, according to a news release.
Single tickets for the performance range from $18 to $53 and can be purchased by calling 801-355-ARTS (2787), at the Abravenel Hall ticket office (123 W. South Temple) or online at www.utahsymphony.org. Season ticket holders should call 801-533-NOTE (6683). Ticket prices will increase $5 when purchased on the day of the performance.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Pleasant View fire contained Saturday;...
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- Holladay woman dies rock climbing in Maple...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 22
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 16
- Two Utah schools under federal... 13