A season-long performance cycle of Felix Mendelssohn's five symphonies performed by the Utah Symphony will come to an end with concluding concerts Feb. 22 and 23 at 8 p.m. in Abravanel Hall.
Music director Thierry Fischer will lead the Utah Symphony during the final concerts, which will include Menselssohn's first and last symphonies, according to a news release. Also featured will be principal bass David Yavornitzky performing "Double Bass Concerto" by Hans Werner Henze.
Mendelssohn completed his first symphony at the age of 15. Symphony No. 1 showcases musical elements from composers such as Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. In Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 5 "Reformation," the well-known hymn "A Mighty Fortress is our God" is included, according to a news release.
Single tickets for the performance range from $18 to $53 and can be purchased by calling 801-355-ARTS (2787), at the Abravenel Hall ticket office (123 W. South Temple) or online at www.utahsymphony.org. Season ticket holders should call 801-533-NOTE (6683). Ticket prices will increase $5 when purchased on the day of the performance.
Kylie Lewis is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She recently graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho, receiving a bachelor's degree in communications.
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11