High school girls basketball: Coach's confidence in player helps lead Fremont to big upset over American Fork
Dalebout was elated at what her team accomplished Wednesday night.
"I'm amazed honestly," she said. "I was amazed at some of the things they were doing. We've been working and emphasizing some of those things all year long, and it's just clicking right now. It's unbelievable. It makes me very proud." The fact that her players never saw themselves as a fourth-place team not only gave them confidence that opponents might not understand, but it has also allowed them to play with some freedom.
"We had nothing to lose," said Hansen.
While everything clicked for Fremont, everything seemingly unraveled for American Fork.
"They were better than us," said head coach Corey Clayton. "They made shots and we didn't. Our kids looked more nervous than their kids, right off the bat. I don't know what that comes from."
"It was more a shoulders-up problem than a matchup problem," he said. "I don’t know." He said they may have overprepared for the game, something he's carefully avoided this season.
"When you get to this point, you don't want to ever walk away thinking, 'If we had been more prepared...'" he said. "But I think we might have overprepared to the point where we just froze mentally and didn't play our game at all."
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28