High school girls basketball: Coach's confidence in player helps lead Fremont to big upset over American Fork
Dalebout was elated at what her team accomplished Wednesday night.
"I'm amazed honestly," she said. "I was amazed at some of the things they were doing. We've been working and emphasizing some of those things all year long, and it's just clicking right now. It's unbelievable. It makes me very proud." The fact that her players never saw themselves as a fourth-place team not only gave them confidence that opponents might not understand, but it has also allowed them to play with some freedom.
"We had nothing to lose," said Hansen.
While everything clicked for Fremont, everything seemingly unraveled for American Fork.
"They were better than us," said head coach Corey Clayton. "They made shots and we didn't. Our kids looked more nervous than their kids, right off the bat. I don't know what that comes from."
"It was more a shoulders-up problem than a matchup problem," he said. "I don’t know." He said they may have overprepared for the game, something he's carefully avoided this season.
"When you get to this point, you don't want to ever walk away thinking, 'If we had been more prepared...'" he said. "But I think we might have overprepared to the point where we just froze mentally and didn't play our game at all."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45