High school girls basketball: Coach's confidence in player helps lead Fremont to big upset over American Fork
Dalebout was elated at what her team accomplished Wednesday night.
"I'm amazed honestly," she said. "I was amazed at some of the things they were doing. We've been working and emphasizing some of those things all year long, and it's just clicking right now. It's unbelievable. It makes me very proud." The fact that her players never saw themselves as a fourth-place team not only gave them confidence that opponents might not understand, but it has also allowed them to play with some freedom.
"We had nothing to lose," said Hansen.
While everything clicked for Fremont, everything seemingly unraveled for American Fork.
"They were better than us," said head coach Corey Clayton. "They made shots and we didn't. Our kids looked more nervous than their kids, right off the bat. I don't know what that comes from."
"It was more a shoulders-up problem than a matchup problem," he said. "I don’t know." He said they may have overprepared for the game, something he's carefully avoided this season.
"When you get to this point, you don't want to ever walk away thinking, 'If we had been more prepared...'" he said. "But I think we might have overprepared to the point where we just froze mentally and didn't play our game at all."
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 97
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 50
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 25