High school girls basketball: Coach's confidence in player helps lead Fremont to big upset over American Fork
Dalebout was elated at what her team accomplished Wednesday night.
"I'm amazed honestly," she said. "I was amazed at some of the things they were doing. We've been working and emphasizing some of those things all year long, and it's just clicking right now. It's unbelievable. It makes me very proud." The fact that her players never saw themselves as a fourth-place team not only gave them confidence that opponents might not understand, but it has also allowed them to play with some freedom.
"We had nothing to lose," said Hansen.
While everything clicked for Fremont, everything seemingly unraveled for American Fork.
"They were better than us," said head coach Corey Clayton. "They made shots and we didn't. Our kids looked more nervous than their kids, right off the bat. I don't know what that comes from."
"It was more a shoulders-up problem than a matchup problem," he said. "I don’t know." He said they may have overprepared for the game, something he's carefully avoided this season.
"When you get to this point, you don't want to ever walk away thinking, 'If we had been more prepared...'" he said. "But I think we might have overprepared to the point where we just froze mentally and didn't play our game at all."
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 87
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 27
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8