Utah State women’s tennis defeated in-state rival Weber State in a home match Wednesday at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club, 5-2. The Aggies won all three doubles matches, securing the point, and defeated the Wildcats in four of the six singles matches.
In singles action, sophomore McKenzie Davis defeated Ashley Tanner at the No. 1 spot as Davis was winning the first set 5-0 before Tanner withdrew due to injury, and the match was left unfinished. At No. 2 singles, senior Jaci West defeated Kristi Elmer in straight sets (6-3, 6-3). At No. 3 singles, senior Julie Tukuafu was defeated by Nittaya Phonaratu after battling for three sets (2-6, 6-4, 6-4). At No. 4 singles, senior Kristina Voytsekhovich took down Thais Kurer in straight sets (7-5, 6-1). In the No. 5 spot, Michelle Warwick of Weber State defeated Aggie freshman Kallie Sperry in a super-tie-break after three sets (3-6, 6-1, 10-6). At the No. 6 spot, sophomore Hillary Hays defeated Carly Lloyd in straight sets (6-0, 6-2).
The Aggies swept the doubles completion, finishing all three matches 8-3. In the first doubles position, Davis and West took down Kurer and Elmer, and in the second doubles position, Tukuafu and Voytsekhovich defeated Tenner and Warwick. Freshmen Amber and Ashley Stuhlmann made their spring season debut at the third doubles position where they defeated WSU's Lloyd and Phonnatath.
Utah State will return to action next weekend as it plays at Arizona State on Friday, Mar. 1, at 1:30 p.m. and then plays at Arizona on Saturday, Mar. 2 at 10 a.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15