Utah State women’s tennis defeated in-state rival Weber State in a home match Wednesday at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club, 5-2. The Aggies won all three doubles matches, securing the point, and defeated the Wildcats in four of the six singles matches.
In singles action, sophomore McKenzie Davis defeated Ashley Tanner at the No. 1 spot as Davis was winning the first set 5-0 before Tanner withdrew due to injury, and the match was left unfinished. At No. 2 singles, senior Jaci West defeated Kristi Elmer in straight sets (6-3, 6-3). At No. 3 singles, senior Julie Tukuafu was defeated by Nittaya Phonaratu after battling for three sets (2-6, 6-4, 6-4). At No. 4 singles, senior Kristina Voytsekhovich took down Thais Kurer in straight sets (7-5, 6-1). In the No. 5 spot, Michelle Warwick of Weber State defeated Aggie freshman Kallie Sperry in a super-tie-break after three sets (3-6, 6-1, 10-6). At the No. 6 spot, sophomore Hillary Hays defeated Carly Lloyd in straight sets (6-0, 6-2).
The Aggies swept the doubles completion, finishing all three matches 8-3. In the first doubles position, Davis and West took down Kurer and Elmer, and in the second doubles position, Tukuafu and Voytsekhovich defeated Tenner and Warwick. Freshmen Amber and Ashley Stuhlmann made their spring season debut at the third doubles position where they defeated WSU's Lloyd and Phonnatath.
Utah State will return to action next weekend as it plays at Arizona State on Friday, Mar. 1, at 1:30 p.m. and then plays at Arizona on Saturday, Mar. 2 at 10 a.m.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16