KAHUKU, Hawaii – Zac Blair fired a first round two-under-par 70 to lead BYU to a third place tie after day one of the John Burns Intercollegiate on Wednesday.
The Cougars shot an opening round total 292 (+4) at Turtle Bay Resort to finish in a three way tie with Colorado State and Arizona for third place. BYU currently trails No. 1 California (-4) by eight strokes and No. 5 New Mexico (-1) by five strokes.
Blair had a strong outing in the opening round of the tournament, finishing with four birdies, including two in his final three holes. He currently stands tied for fourth and his opening round 70 puts him in contention for the individual title during the remainder of the tournament.
Junior Justin Keiley complemented Blair's perfomance by converting three birdies to shoot a one-under-par 71. Keiley currently sits tied for sixth place on the individual leaderboard entering round two.
In his first collegiate tournament, freshman Joe Parkinson shot a four-over-par 76 (+4), including an eagle on the par-5 12th hole. Rounding out the lineup, junior Jordan Hammer finished with a 75 (+3), while sophomore Devon Purser shot a six-over-par 78.
Live stats of tomorrow's second round action can be followed at golfstat.com.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- How about a Utah-BYU matchup in NCAA tournament?
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Tom Welch: Replace the prison with the NFL
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 105
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 77
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27