KAHUKU, Hawaii – Zac Blair fired a first round two-under-par 70 to lead BYU to a third place tie after day one of the John Burns Intercollegiate on Wednesday.
The Cougars shot an opening round total 292 (+4) at Turtle Bay Resort to finish in a three way tie with Colorado State and Arizona for third place. BYU currently trails No. 1 California (-4) by eight strokes and No. 5 New Mexico (-1) by five strokes.
Blair had a strong outing in the opening round of the tournament, finishing with four birdies, including two in his final three holes. He currently stands tied for fourth and his opening round 70 puts him in contention for the individual title during the remainder of the tournament.
Junior Justin Keiley complemented Blair's perfomance by converting three birdies to shoot a one-under-par 71. Keiley currently sits tied for sixth place on the individual leaderboard entering round two.
In his first collegiate tournament, freshman Joe Parkinson shot a four-over-par 76 (+4), including an eagle on the par-5 12th hole. Rounding out the lineup, junior Jordan Hammer finished with a 75 (+3), while sophomore Devon Purser shot a six-over-par 78.
Live stats of tomorrow's second round action can be followed at golfstat.com.
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at email@example.com
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37