HOUSTON — In their final indoor meet as a member of the Great West Conference, the Utah Valley University men's and women's indoor track teams look to leave a mark in the conference meet Saturday and Sunday at the University of Houston.
Both the men's and women's teams won their first-ever GWC indoor crowns last year, and the goal is the same for 2013.
"They know they have to live up to the traditions that teams before them have put together," UVU indoor track and field coach Scott Houle said. "They are very focused and know what they need to do in each event. They understand for us to win they all individually will have to do a great job."
After finishing second three years in a row, the Wolverines finally broke through with the women beating North Dakota by 121 points and the men beating Houston Baptist by 101 points.
"This conference had matured and unfortunately it is the last year, but each team is getting more individuals in each event and teams are getting deeper," Houle said. "They are starting to put talented athletes out there."
The Wolverines will move to the Western Athletic Conference next season.
UVU sprinter Allah Laryea-Akrong will look to leave his mark by becoming a four-time champion in the 200 meters and the 60 meters. Earlier this year, Akrong set a new school record in the 60m with the time of 6.69 seconds at the BYU Invitational in early January, while teammate Nicholas Taylor tied Akrong's old school record with the time of 6.78.
The duo could possibly go 1-2 in both the 60m and 200m this weekend.
The meet gets underway at 8 a.m. MT with the 60-meter hurdles in the pentathlon. More pentathlon and heptathlon events get underway at 8:30 a.m. MT.
Field events begin at 1 p.m. with the women's weight throw, while the running events begin at 3 p.m. MT with the women's 5,000 meters.
Events resume Sunday at 8 a.m.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame like...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- BYU assistant football coach is also Bishop...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Deseret News previews of all 103 varsity...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 140
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 103
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 82
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 45
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 38
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 25