High school boys basketball: LCA clinches Region 17 title with win over Legacy Prep Lions
LAYTON — With a chance to clinch the Region 17 title, defending 1A state champion Layton Christian Academy didn't flinch.
The Eagles scored the first nine points against Legacy Prep and never looked back en route to a 68-38 win over the Lions on Tuesday night.
With the win, the Eagles clinch the Region 17 championship trophy with one regular-season game to go. It was a perfect ending for the LCA senior players who performed at home for the last time.
LCA senior Duce Namazi led both teams with 24 points. He also had two rebounds, three assists and four steals.
LCA senior forward DJ Lacey added 12 points and nine rebounds. Other LCA scorers included Austin Geddings with eight points, Ben Adie with six points, Joe Reddish with six points, Preston Sills with six points, Ricardo Gomez with four points and Markiece Gross with two points.
Klint Gardiner led the Lions with 11 in the losing effort.
LCA’s last game before the 1A state tournament will be on the road against rival St. Joseph, Friday Feb. 22.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 52
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21