High school boys basketball: LCA clinches Region 17 title with win over Legacy Prep Lions
LAYTON — With a chance to clinch the Region 17 title, defending 1A state champion Layton Christian Academy didn't flinch.
The Eagles scored the first nine points against Legacy Prep and never looked back en route to a 68-38 win over the Lions on Tuesday night.
With the win, the Eagles clinch the Region 17 championship trophy with one regular-season game to go. It was a perfect ending for the LCA senior players who performed at home for the last time.
LCA senior Duce Namazi led both teams with 24 points. He also had two rebounds, three assists and four steals.
LCA senior forward DJ Lacey added 12 points and nine rebounds. Other LCA scorers included Austin Geddings with eight points, Ben Adie with six points, Joe Reddish with six points, Preston Sills with six points, Ricardo Gomez with four points and Markiece Gross with two points.
Klint Gardiner led the Lions with 11 in the losing effort.
LCA’s last game before the 1A state tournament will be on the road against rival St. Joseph, Friday Feb. 22.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 115
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 21
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21