SALT LAKE CITY — Six Utah school districts have been named to the Advanced Placement honor roll for 2012 as new numbers show that the state ranks 11th in the country for the percentage of students passing AP exams.
One out of every five members of Utah's class of 2012 passed an AP exam for the 2011-12 school year, according to a report released Wednesday by The College Board, which administers AP exams. The report also shows that a total of 20,449 Utah students took 33,017 AP exams and passed them at rate of 68 percent, nine points higher than the 59 percent national average.
The numbers also show an increase of 1,941 students who took an AP exam compared to 2011.
“These results show that more Utah students are better preparing themselves for college and careers,” State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove said in a prepared statement. “That’s good news for those students and for our collective future.”
Alpine, Canyons, Davis, Granite, Nebo and Wasatch school districts were named to the AP Honor Roll, a distinction given to districts that experience three consecutive years of growth in both AP participation and performance. Davis and Nebo districts were also named to the honor roll last year.
The College Report shows that the most popular test for Utah students was United States history, followed by English literature and composition.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23