SALT LAKE CITY — Six Utah school districts have been named to the Advanced Placement honor roll for 2012 as new numbers show that the state ranks 11th in the country for the percentage of students passing AP exams.
One out of every five members of Utah's class of 2012 passed an AP exam for the 2011-12 school year, according to a report released Wednesday by The College Board, which administers AP exams. The report also shows that a total of 20,449 Utah students took 33,017 AP exams and passed them at rate of 68 percent, nine points higher than the 59 percent national average.
The numbers also show an increase of 1,941 students who took an AP exam compared to 2011.
“These results show that more Utah students are better preparing themselves for college and careers,” State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove said in a prepared statement. “That’s good news for those students and for our collective future.”
Alpine, Canyons, Davis, Granite, Nebo and Wasatch school districts were named to the AP Honor Roll, a distinction given to districts that experience three consecutive years of growth in both AP participation and performance. Davis and Nebo districts were also named to the honor roll last year.
The College Report shows that the most popular test for Utah students was United States history, followed by English literature and composition.
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11