SALT LAKE CITY — Six Utah school districts have been named to the Advanced Placement honor roll for 2012 as new numbers show that the state ranks 11th in the country for the percentage of students passing AP exams.
One out of every five members of Utah's class of 2012 passed an AP exam for the 2011-12 school year, according to a report released Wednesday by The College Board, which administers AP exams. The report also shows that a total of 20,449 Utah students took 33,017 AP exams and passed them at rate of 68 percent, nine points higher than the 59 percent national average.
The numbers also show an increase of 1,941 students who took an AP exam compared to 2011.
“These results show that more Utah students are better preparing themselves for college and careers,” State Superintendent of Public Instruction Martell Menlove said in a prepared statement. “That’s good news for those students and for our collective future.”
Alpine, Canyons, Davis, Granite, Nebo and Wasatch school districts were named to the AP Honor Roll, a distinction given to districts that experience three consecutive years of growth in both AP participation and performance. Davis and Nebo districts were also named to the honor roll last year.
The College Report shows that the most popular test for Utah students was United States history, followed by English literature and composition.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 135
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 103
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 90
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 76
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35