Utah Jazz notebook: Jazz players shrug off trade rumors as deadline approaches
WHO'S BETTER? A couple of weeks before the 2005 Draft, former Utah coach Rick Majerus told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Marvin Williams was the best player in the draft ahead of Bogut. “I think five years out it will be Marvin Williams who will be the best player’’ Majerus told the newspaper.
Bogut still ended up being the No. 1 draft choice of Milwaukee’s while Williams went No. 2 to Atlanta.
It’s been more than seven years since that draft and the late Majerus hasn’t proved to be a prophet. While neither player has turned out to be an All-Star, Bogut has better career numbers in every area, including points (12.6 ppg to 11.2), rebounds (9.3 to 5.2), assists (2.3 to 1.3) and field goal shooting 52.3 to 44.8
However, Williams was much better Tuesday night with 11 points compared to Bogut’s goose-egg.
QUOTABLE: “Alec Burks is MVP in my book for the month of February — he really stepped up outside of his role and helped carry this team,” said Jefferson.
DRAFT HELP: Tuesday’s victory accomplished a couple of things. Not only did it lift the Jazz into a tie with the Warriors for sixth place in the Western Conference, it helped the Jazz in the NBA Draft, since the Jazz will get the Warriors' pick in the June draft. The more losses the Warriors have, the higher the draft pick that goes to the Jazz will be.
The Jazz's pick is conditional and they could have used it last year had the Warriors finished out of the top seven. However, the Warriors conveniently finished with the seven pick, which they used for Harrison Barnes, who has started every game this year.
Email: sor@desnews Twitter: sorny8
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36