Utah Jazz: Business as usual for assistant Sidney Lowe after arrest
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — After rejoining the team Tuesday, Utah Jazz assistant coach Sidney Lowe avoided the media and did not talk about being arrested Monday in North Carolina for allegedly not paying state income taxes for three years.
The organization again didn't make a statement, either. Instead, Jazz PR director Jonathan Rinehart referred reporters to Lowe's attorney to answer questions about Lowe's legal situation.
Lee Turner did not respond to an email sent Tuesday night by the Deseret News, requesting a response about the three misdemeanors the former North Carolina State coach received for allegedly not paying taxes from 2009-11.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin offered his support for his lead assistant and former teammate.
"We're moving forward. It's a personal situation he's dealing with. We support him wholeheartedly," Corbin said. "He understand. He's taking responsibility for where he is in it and we'll support him and he'll move on."
Corbin said Lowe's coaching responsibilities will remain "absolutely the same."
Though Lowe wasn't made available to media, the 53-year-old assistant conducted his usual halftime interview with Jazz-owned ROOT Sports during Utah's 115-101 win over Golden State. Lowe was not asked a question about the arrest or his legal troubles.
Earlier Tuesday, Lowe did not make eye contact with reporters at shootaround and took a different route than usual — away from the media — to get into the coaches' offices after the morning prep session.
Corbin grumbled at reporters when he was pressed on the subject before Tuesday's game.
"Yeah, I'm not talking about it anymore. I've said enough about it," Corbin said. "I'm not making comments on it. It's a personal situation and we'll deal with it."
Lowe, out on $10,000 bail, has a court date in Wake Forest, N.C., on March 19.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 39
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 23