BOUNTIFUL — Residents gathered Tuesday to break ground on their new City Hall, an upgrade more than a decade in the making.
The new Bountiful City Hall will trade properties with the Bountiful Davis Arts Center, which is being torn down for the project and eventually will be housed in the existing City Hall.
The new City Hall will occupy about 32,000 square feet at 745 S. Main, roughly the same size as the current building at 100 E. 790 South. City officials say the new building is needed to upgrade technology rather than size.
"We're virtually built out," said Paul Rowland, city engineer. "We want to build (the new City Hall) with energy consumption that looks toward a more efficient future. We want to build it with technological features that look toward a future that we can't even anticipate now."
Bountiful City Hall is expected to be completed by March 2014 and will cost between $4 million and $5 million.
Mayor Joe Johnson said the city has saved up funds for the project, and no bonding will be needed.
"We got wide support because we haven bonded for it, and we won't," Johnson said. “We're using money we have in our capital projects fund, and we're going to pay cash for the building.”
City Hall has moved three times since 1950. Rowland said the city's goal was to provide a facility that will satisfy Bountiful's needs for at least 50 years.
“We want to build a building that in 50 years, the City Council can look at it and say, 'You know what? It's a pretty good building. We'd just like to remodel it,'" he said.
One side of the now defunct Bountiful Davis Arts Center was razed as part of the groundbreaking ceremony, and city officials also took turns taking a sledgehammer to the building. The center will temporarily operate out of the Davis County Memorial Courthouse, 28 E. State, Farmington.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- How to keep a youthful appearance
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 25
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 19
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 16