BOUNTIFUL — Residents gathered Tuesday to break ground on their new City Hall, an upgrade more than a decade in the making.
The new Bountiful City Hall will trade properties with the Bountiful Davis Arts Center, which is being torn down for the project and eventually will be housed in the existing City Hall.
The new City Hall will occupy about 32,000 square feet at 745 S. Main, roughly the same size as the current building at 100 E. 790 South. City officials say the new building is needed to upgrade technology rather than size.
"We're virtually built out," said Paul Rowland, city engineer. "We want to build (the new City Hall) with energy consumption that looks toward a more efficient future. We want to build it with technological features that look toward a future that we can't even anticipate now."
Bountiful City Hall is expected to be completed by March 2014 and will cost between $4 million and $5 million.
Mayor Joe Johnson said the city has saved up funds for the project, and no bonding will be needed.
"We got wide support because we haven bonded for it, and we won't," Johnson said. “We're using money we have in our capital projects fund, and we're going to pay cash for the building.”
City Hall has moved three times since 1950. Rowland said the city's goal was to provide a facility that will satisfy Bountiful's needs for at least 50 years.
“We want to build a building that in 50 years, the City Council can look at it and say, 'You know what? It's a pretty good building. We'd just like to remodel it,'" he said.
One side of the now defunct Bountiful Davis Arts Center was razed as part of the groundbreaking ceremony, and city officials also took turns taking a sledgehammer to the building. The center will temporarily operate out of the Davis County Memorial Courthouse, 28 E. State, Farmington.
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Canceled Utah race renews fears of shrinking...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- Is report on building prison in Draper...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 128
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 84
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 74
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 54
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 39
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 34
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 33