TAYLORSVILLE — Full-court pressure.
That was the game plan for the Bountiful Braves when they entered the first round of the 4A state tournament at Salt Lake Community College. It was a successful plan as the Region 6 champions cruised past Herriman, 64-43, Tuesday.
“We’ve got a bunch of soccer kids,” head coach Joel Burton said. “We’d be dumb not to go out and run and put that pressure on knowing the kids we have.
“We’re not overly big," he added, "so we do expect that pressure on the perimeter to see if we can make the other teams make mistakes.”
The Braves did force Herriman into mistakes early on. They jumped out to a quick lead and never looked back, controlling the game from baseline to baseline.
“That was one of our better all-around games for four quarters,” Burton said. “It seems like we’ve been putting together a good, solid two quarters and then we take it off in the second half. It’s nice to see us show up and play for a good four quarters tonight.”
“Those three have been stellar all year long,” Burton said. He added that senior Ashley Erying, who provided a scoreless but solid effort, is also a main cog in the Bountiful leadership.
“I feel like we’ve really got four girls we can count on for a pretty fair number of points,” he said. “Usually those four, all of them have eight to 12, maybe more. We count on those guys for scoring.”
Adding to the Braves’ ability to apply pressure was their affective outside and mid-range shooting against the Mustangs.
“Tonight our perimeter shots were dropping, which hasn’t been a consistent thing,” Burton admitted. “It was really nice that we got to spread a team out a little bit instead of having to jam in through everybody.”
Up next, the Braves will meet Sky View on Thursday in a 4 p.m. quarterfinal. Sky View beat Bountiful on its own court earlier in the season.
“It is going to be a challenge for us,” the coach said. “But it’s a challenge our girls are up to.”
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- BYU football: Cougars have gotten solid...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 51
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 45