SALT LAKE CITY — New charges have been filed against a Las Vegas man accused of opening fire in two Salt Lake County neighborhoods during a three-day period in November.
Stacey Renod Wesley, 24, is accused of firing upon people on Nov. 23 and Nov. 25, 2012, as he searched for a man named "Tank," court documents indicate.
Wesley is charged with three counts of attempted murder, all first-degree felonies, and 20 third-degree felony counts of discharging a firearm, according to charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court.
Police say Wesley approached three people standing outside a house at 3644 S. 2200 West on Nov. 23, accusing them of "jacking" something from him, charges state. He started shooting toward the people and the house, leaving more than 20 bullet holes in the side of the building and just as many shell casings on the sidewalk, according tothe charges.
One of the individuals police say Wesley fired at identified him as "Stacey Macc" and told police he may have been looking for Tank.
Wesley had been arrested and charged in December with attempted murder, a first-degree felony; aggravated assault, a third-degree felony; and six third-degree felony counts of discharging a firearm. He posted bail and left Salt Lake County Jail on Jan. 30, according to court documents.
Court proceedings already are under way for the Nov. 25 incident, in which police say Wesley fired 21 rounds at two apartments at 1915 W. 3300 South, including the apartment where Tank's mother and sister lived.
Wesley failed to appear for a preliminary hearing Tuesday in 3rd District Court. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.
Two neighbors told police Wesley had knocked on their doors Nov. 25 and asked for Tank. One woman, who said Wesley kept taking out a 9 mm handgun while he spoke to her, told Wesley where Tank's mother lived for fear that he would harm her, the previous charges state.
After Tank's mother told Wesley her son wasn't home, Wesley became angry, and the woman shut and locked the door, charges state. As she ran away from the door, Wesley began firing into the apartment, according to the charges.
- Gunman caught after shooting father-in-law in...
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at Miss USA...
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is...
- Miss Utah USA's bungled interview creates...
- 2 others back up extortion claims against...
- NPR writer 'slightly' defends Miss Utah USA's...
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey on trust
- Hillcrest High School sees enrollment surge...
- Video: Miss Utah USA flubs answer at... 24
- Animal rights group threatens Utah fur... 21
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 20
- Attorneys for AG John Swallow say... 20
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- 2 others back up extortion claims... 20
- Wife's website could get Jeremy Johnson... 18
- Poll: Majority of Utahns want... 18