UVU basketball: Sammie Jensen earns seventh GWC Play of the Week award
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a conference win last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury, Utah, had a huge week for the Wolverines again last week in which she averaged 21.5 points and 20 rebounds per game. Jensen led Utah Valley to a one-point win at Texas-Pan American on Saturday as she drained the game-winner with 2.6 seconds left to give the Wolverines a 51-50 road win. She also helped the Wolverines remain in first place in the conference standings (5-1) as she posted a game-high 21 points and 21 rebounds. Earlier in the week, she led UVU by scoring 22 points and grabbing 19 rebounds at New Orleans. The two double-doubles now gives her 17 for the season, which is good enough for a new UVU single-season school record.
Jensen ranks first in the GWC in rebounding (13.6 rpg) and second in scoring (17.4 ppg). Her 13.6 rebounds per game average is also good enough to rank her second in the nation.
The weekly honor is Jensen's seventh of the season and 12th of her career.
Others nominated for the weekly honor were Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt, NJIT's Rayven Johnson and Texas-Pan American's Cassandra Moody.
Jensen and the Wolverines will return to the court Saturday in the Windy City as they'll take on conference foe Chicago State.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 61
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52