UVU basketball: Sammie Jensen earns seventh GWC Play of the Week award
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a conference win last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury, Utah, had a huge week for the Wolverines again last week in which she averaged 21.5 points and 20 rebounds per game. Jensen led Utah Valley to a one-point win at Texas-Pan American on Saturday as she drained the game-winner with 2.6 seconds left to give the Wolverines a 51-50 road win. She also helped the Wolverines remain in first place in the conference standings (5-1) as she posted a game-high 21 points and 21 rebounds. Earlier in the week, she led UVU by scoring 22 points and grabbing 19 rebounds at New Orleans. The two double-doubles now gives her 17 for the season, which is good enough for a new UVU single-season school record.
Jensen ranks first in the GWC in rebounding (13.6 rpg) and second in scoring (17.4 ppg). Her 13.6 rebounds per game average is also good enough to rank her second in the nation.
The weekly honor is Jensen's seventh of the season and 12th of her career.
Others nominated for the weekly honor were Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt, NJIT's Rayven Johnson and Texas-Pan American's Cassandra Moody.
Jensen and the Wolverines will return to the court Saturday in the Windy City as they'll take on conference foe Chicago State.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16