UVU basketball: Sammie Jensen earns seventh GWC Play of the Week award
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — Utah Valley University's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a conference win last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury, Utah, had a huge week for the Wolverines again last week in which she averaged 21.5 points and 20 rebounds per game. Jensen led Utah Valley to a one-point win at Texas-Pan American on Saturday as she drained the game-winner with 2.6 seconds left to give the Wolverines a 51-50 road win. She also helped the Wolverines remain in first place in the conference standings (5-1) as she posted a game-high 21 points and 21 rebounds. Earlier in the week, she led UVU by scoring 22 points and grabbing 19 rebounds at New Orleans. The two double-doubles now gives her 17 for the season, which is good enough for a new UVU single-season school record.
Jensen ranks first in the GWC in rebounding (13.6 rpg) and second in scoring (17.4 ppg). Her 13.6 rebounds per game average is also good enough to rank her second in the nation.
The weekly honor is Jensen's seventh of the season and 12th of her career.
Others nominated for the weekly honor were Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt, NJIT's Rayven Johnson and Texas-Pan American's Cassandra Moody.
Jensen and the Wolverines will return to the court Saturday in the Windy City as they'll take on conference foe Chicago State.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Jazz forward Trevor Booker assists Utah...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 45
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 32
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30