UVU softball: Kylee Brinkerhoff wins PCSC player of the week
PORTLAND — After a consistent string of solid performances through a tough stretch of games at the Easton Desert Classic in Las Vegas last weekend, Utah Valley University leftfielder Kylee Brinkerhoff has been named the Pacific Coast Softball Conference's Player of the Week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
A senior out of Spanish Fork, Utah, Brinkerhoff went 8-for-18 as the Wolverines squared off with three ranked opponents in last weekend's action.
Brinkerhoff went a combined 4-for-9 with two RBIs in UVU's three games against No. 7 Oregon, No. 9 California and No. 20 Hawai'i. She opened the weekend with a 2-for-3 performance, including a triple, against the Ducks helping up her season batting average to .343.
In the Wolverines' 4-1 over San Jose State, Brinkerhoff had a home run and a double — the first of her two, multi-hit games during the invitational.
With a hit in all five contests over the weekend, Brinkerhoff is now riding a six-game hitting streak.
Claiming the PCSC's Pitcher of the Week honor was Lujane Mussadi of St. Mary's. The freshman tossed a complete-game shutout to help the Gaels to a 2-0 win over Sacramento State.
Other notable performances from around the league include: Sara Lira, a sophomore infielder from St. Mary's who hit two homers over the weekend; Katie Manuma, BYU's junior first baseman who posted six RBIs; and Danielle Mavridis, who batted .375 with a home run and five RBIs for San Diego.
The UVU softball team is off until March 5 when it hosts Utah in the home opener at Wolverine Field.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19