UVU softball: Kylee Brinkerhoff wins PCSC player of the week
PORTLAND — After a consistent string of solid performances through a tough stretch of games at the Easton Desert Classic in Las Vegas last weekend, Utah Valley University leftfielder Kylee Brinkerhoff has been named the Pacific Coast Softball Conference's Player of the Week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
A senior out of Spanish Fork, Utah, Brinkerhoff went 8-for-18 as the Wolverines squared off with three ranked opponents in last weekend's action.
Brinkerhoff went a combined 4-for-9 with two RBIs in UVU's three games against No. 7 Oregon, No. 9 California and No. 20 Hawai'i. She opened the weekend with a 2-for-3 performance, including a triple, against the Ducks helping up her season batting average to .343.
In the Wolverines' 4-1 over San Jose State, Brinkerhoff had a home run and a double — the first of her two, multi-hit games during the invitational.
With a hit in all five contests over the weekend, Brinkerhoff is now riding a six-game hitting streak.
Claiming the PCSC's Pitcher of the Week honor was Lujane Mussadi of St. Mary's. The freshman tossed a complete-game shutout to help the Gaels to a 2-0 win over Sacramento State.
Other notable performances from around the league include: Sara Lira, a sophomore infielder from St. Mary's who hit two homers over the weekend; Katie Manuma, BYU's junior first baseman who posted six RBIs; and Danielle Mavridis, who batted .375 with a home run and five RBIs for San Diego.
The UVU softball team is off until March 5 when it hosts Utah in the home opener at Wolverine Field.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 60
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52