UVU wrestling: six UVU wrestlers ranked in latest NCAA polls
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah — The NCAA recently released its second of three coaches' panel rankings and the first Rating Percentage Index for the 2012-13 wrestling season, and six of Utah Valley's wrestlers are ranked. The final rankings and RPI will be two of the tools used as part of the selection process to determine the qualifiers for the 2013 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships.
The latest NCAA rankings came out last Thursday. Redshirt freshman Jade Rauser (125 pounds) is leading the way as he is 13th on the RPI and ranked 27th by the coaches. Senior Josh Wilson (149) is next as he is 19th on the RPI and 23rd on the coaches' panel. Redshirt sophomore Adam Fager (heavyweight) is 24th on the RPI and ranked 31st by the coaches, while junior Abner Cook (165), sophomore David Prieto (197) and junior Monte Schmalhaus (174) are 31st, 32nd, and 33rd, respectively, on the RPI.
Wrestlers in each weight class are measured by winning percentage, RPI and coaches' rankings to earn spots for their respective qualifying tournaments for the 2013 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. The coaches' rankings are compiled by a vote of coaches representing each qualifying tournament. For ranking purposes, coaches may only consider a wrestler that has been designated as a starter at a respective weight class.
To be eligible for an RPI ranking, a wrestler must have a minimum of 17 Division I matches at a given weight class. The top 33 wrestlers in the RPI are listed for each weight class.
The top-ranked wrestlers at each weight class in the second rankings are: Matt McDonough, Iowa (125 pounds); Logan Stieber, Ohio State (133 pounds); Kendric Maple, Oklahoma (141 pounds); Jordan Oliver, Oklahoma State (149 pounds); Derek St. John, Iowa (157 pounds); Kyle Dake, Cornell (165 pounds); Logan Storley, Minnesota (174 pounds); Ed Ruth, Penn State (184 pounds); Dustin Kilgore, Kent State (197 pounds) and Dominique Bradley, Missouri (Heavyweight).
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 71
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 64
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31