Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University redshirt freshman Jade Rauser (Townsend, Mont./Broadwater HS) has been named the Western Wrestling Conference Wrestler of the Week after upsetting No. 8 Josh Martinez of Air Force last week. The conference award was announced Tuesday by the league.
Rauser had UVU's biggest win in its conference victory over Air Force last Saturday as he defeated the top-10 ranked Martinez, 6-5. The Wolverine redshirt freshman kept the score close against Martinez and gave himself the chance to win as he trailed Martinez by one in the closing seconds of the final period. Just before the clock hit zero, Rauser managed to pick up a reversal to win by a point. Not only did the Wolverine redshirt freshman get the reversal just before time expired but also just before Martinez gained 1:00 of riding time as Rauser scored the reversal with the riding time clock showing a 59-second advantage for Martinez.
The win gave Utah Valley a 3-0 lead over the Falcons, a lead that it would not relinquish the rest of the night as it went on to defeat AFA 23-9 in the Wolverines' regular season finale.
Rauser, who went from being unranked by InterMat to No. 18 Tuesday morning, finished his regular season with a 19-6 overall record and a 6-1 mark in duals.
The conference honor is Rauser's second of the season and second of his career after he shared honors with Air Force's Dylan Hyder on Jan. 22.
Utah Valley finished in third place in the WWC dual standings with the victory with a 3-2 record. Over the weekend, North Dakota State also clinched its first-ever WWC title as it completed its conference season with an unblemished 5-0 mark.
The Western Wrestling Conference, which is in its seventh year of competition, is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
North Dakota State: Trent Sprenkle, 125 pounds, Sr. (Billings, Mont./Billings HS)
South Dakota State: Dustin Walraven, 149 pounds, Sr. (Huron, S.D./Huron HS)
Wyoming: Tyler Cox, 125 pounds, So. (Gillette, Wyo./Campbell County HS)
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Getting back up off the ground: Utahn...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Salt Lake City's Patrick Smyth reclaims...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24