CEDAR CITY — A second person has died from gunshot wounds following a shooting inside a house here last week.
Diann Bailey, 59, died about 8 a.m. Tuesday, according to family members.
Bailey was one of two people found shot inside a home at 386 N. 400 West in Cedar City. Jeffery Lane Hardy, 52, was also found shot and deceased inside the house. Police classified his death as a homicide but have provided few details about the circumstances that led to the two deaths.
Police were called to the house Friday on a report of a suicidal person. While en route to the house, there were reports of gunshots.
When officers arrived, they found Thad Robertson outside the house. He told police one person inside had been shot and the second was likely armed with a handgun. Police entered and found Hardy dead with multiple gunshot wounds and Bailey who had also been shot. She was flown by medical helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray.
Robertson was arrested for investigation of methamphetamine possession, possession of a deadly weapon by a restricted person and possession of drug paraphernalia. Cedar City police released a prepared statement Tuesday about Robertson's status.
"At this hour, the Cedar City Police Department continues to investigate what is now being classified as a homicide. Robertson is the only suspect at this time."
Neighbors said Robertson and Bailey were dating.
Bailey was a divorced mother of three grown children. Her children said they were grieving but didn't want to publicly discuss her death. They offered condolences to Hardy's family.
According to Utah state court records, Bailey filed for a protective order against Robertson claiming cohabitant abuse in 2007. The case was dismissed at the woman's request a couple of weeks later.
Robertson also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor DUI in 2001.
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Ex-congressional staffer lied about war...
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19