No. 2 LSU hosts BYU baseball in two of four Cougar games this week in Baton Rouge, La., starting Thursday.
The second-ranked Tigers (3-0) play Tuesday evening against Lamar before hosting the Cougars (2-2), concluding with a game on Saturday evening. Sandwiched between those games are Friday and Saturday afternoon contests against Southeastern Louisiana (3-0), also at heralded Alex Box Stadium (10,326).
“The whole team is excited to be playing in this venue and atmosphere,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “We have told them to enjoy the experience, but that it’s still just baseball and not to be overwhelmed.”
Leading the way for the Cougars are three of their players that were named last week to the Brooks Wallace Classic all-tournament team — Desmond Poulson, Adam Law and Jaycob Brugman. Poulson was also named West Coast Conference pitcher of the week by the College Sports Madness website for his nine-inning, 119-pitch shutout against Northern Colorado in the season opener.
Poulson (1-0, 0.00) will start on the mound on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. CST. On Friday, Adam Miller (0-1, 7.20) will be BYU’s starting pitcher against Southeastern Louisiana at 1 p.m. Jeff Barker (1-0, 1.50) gets the nod for Saturday afternoon’s tilt, and lefty Mark Anderson (0-0, 4.50) faces LSU in the rematch that evening at 6 p.m.
Cougars Brennon Anderson and Hayden Nielsen were other bright spots last weekend at second base and shortstop. That freshmen infield tandem turned most of BYU’s six double plays, combining for 26 assists. Anderson had one of BYU’s game-winning RBIs from his two-run double and a triple in a 5-3 victory over Northern Illinois.
Following the trip to Louisiana, the Cougars next play at Seattle University on Feb. 26-27.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe talks...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 113
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37