No. 2 LSU hosts BYU baseball in two of four Cougar games this week in Baton Rouge, La., starting Thursday.
The second-ranked Tigers (3-0) play Tuesday evening against Lamar before hosting the Cougars (2-2), concluding with a game on Saturday evening. Sandwiched between those games are Friday and Saturday afternoon contests against Southeastern Louisiana (3-0), also at heralded Alex Box Stadium (10,326).
“The whole team is excited to be playing in this venue and atmosphere,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said. “We have told them to enjoy the experience, but that it’s still just baseball and not to be overwhelmed.”
Leading the way for the Cougars are three of their players that were named last week to the Brooks Wallace Classic all-tournament team — Desmond Poulson, Adam Law and Jaycob Brugman. Poulson was also named West Coast Conference pitcher of the week by the College Sports Madness website for his nine-inning, 119-pitch shutout against Northern Colorado in the season opener.
Poulson (1-0, 0.00) will start on the mound on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. CST. On Friday, Adam Miller (0-1, 7.20) will be BYU’s starting pitcher against Southeastern Louisiana at 1 p.m. Jeff Barker (1-0, 1.50) gets the nod for Saturday afternoon’s tilt, and lefty Mark Anderson (0-0, 4.50) faces LSU in the rematch that evening at 6 p.m.
Cougars Brennon Anderson and Hayden Nielsen were other bright spots last weekend at second base and shortstop. That freshmen infield tandem turned most of BYU’s six double plays, combining for 26 assists. Anderson had one of BYU’s game-winning RBIs from his two-run double and a triple in a 5-3 victory over Northern Illinois.
Following the trip to Louisiana, the Cougars next play at Seattle University on Feb. 26-27.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 125
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 52
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 51
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37