Driver injured after turning into path of TRAX train
Derek Petersen, Deseret News
MURRAY — A driver suffered minor injuries Tuesday morning after he was hit by a TRAX train after making a left turn into its path.
About 8:10 a.m., an SUV was waiting to make a left turn at 5900 South and 300 West. The TRAX line runs parallel to the road in that area. When the lights turned green for through traffic, but stayed red for turning, the driver went forward anyway for an unknown reason, despite the downed crossing arms and red flashing lights, said Utah Transit Authority spokesman Chad Saley.
"He just went ahead and turned, ran through the red arrow, pulled right out in front of the train," Saley said.
The train hit the rear of the vehicle, pushing it down the tracks. The driver, however, was able to walk away from the wreck under his own power, Saley said. He was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries.
"People need to really, really pay attention," Saley said. "By the time he realized what was going on, it was probably too late."
In January, there was a similar crash just a couple of blocks away. Saley said a vehicle was hit in that case while also attempting a left turn.
UTA representatives were talking with Murray officials about ways to make the intersections in that area safer.
"We can't help people not paying attention, but we're looking at other options," he said.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 38
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 18
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17