Driver injured after turning into path of TRAX train
Derek Petersen, Deseret News
MURRAY — A driver suffered minor injuries Tuesday morning after he was hit by a TRAX train after making a left turn into its path.
About 8:10 a.m., an SUV was waiting to make a left turn at 5900 South and 300 West. The TRAX line runs parallel to the road in that area. When the lights turned green for through traffic, but stayed red for turning, the driver went forward anyway for an unknown reason, despite the downed crossing arms and red flashing lights, said Utah Transit Authority spokesman Chad Saley.
"He just went ahead and turned, ran through the red arrow, pulled right out in front of the train," Saley said.
The train hit the rear of the vehicle, pushing it down the tracks. The driver, however, was able to walk away from the wreck under his own power, Saley said. He was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries.
"People need to really, really pay attention," Saley said. "By the time he realized what was going on, it was probably too late."
In January, there was a similar crash just a couple of blocks away. Saley said a vehicle was hit in that case while also attempting a left turn.
UTA representatives were talking with Murray officials about ways to make the intersections in that area safer.
"We can't help people not paying attention, but we're looking at other options," he said.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 38
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 27
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14