Driver injured after turning into path of TRAX train
Derek Petersen, Deseret News
MURRAY — A driver suffered minor injuries Tuesday morning after he was hit by a TRAX train after making a left turn into its path.
About 8:10 a.m., an SUV was waiting to make a left turn at 5900 South and 300 West. The TRAX line runs parallel to the road in that area. When the lights turned green for through traffic, but stayed red for turning, the driver went forward anyway for an unknown reason, despite the downed crossing arms and red flashing lights, said Utah Transit Authority spokesman Chad Saley.
"He just went ahead and turned, ran through the red arrow, pulled right out in front of the train," Saley said.
The train hit the rear of the vehicle, pushing it down the tracks. The driver, however, was able to walk away from the wreck under his own power, Saley said. He was taken to a local hospital with minor injuries.
"People need to really, really pay attention," Saley said. "By the time he realized what was going on, it was probably too late."
In January, there was a similar crash just a couple of blocks away. Saley said a vehicle was hit in that case while also attempting a left turn.
UTA representatives were talking with Murray officials about ways to make the intersections in that area safer.
"We can't help people not paying attention, but we're looking at other options," he said.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- After tragedy, couple uses genetic screening...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Pharmacist who stole pills in 2012 accused of...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 7
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of... 7