Same old story: New animated film 'Escape From Planet Earth' recycles tired storytelling
The Weinstein Company
The animated motion picture “Escape From Planet Earth” arrived in theaters Feb. 15. Even though movie critics are generally conceding the film can be fun fare for kids and adults alike (it’s rated PG for action and some mild humor), many of those same critics are independently harping on the film’s obvious similarities to three fairly recent animated feature films: “Megamind” (2010), “Planet 51” (2009) and especially “Monsters vs. Aliens” (2009).
Indeed, below are several snips from movie reviews that explicitly make a connection between “Escape From Planet Earth” and “Monsters vs. Aliens.”
Digging a little deeper, any dearth of originality in “Escape From Planet Earth” can at least partially be attributed to the fact that control over the film’s artistic vision has spawned contentious, still-ongoing litigation between plaintiff filmmakers Brian Inerfeld and Tony Leech, and defendant distributor The Weinstein Company.
Last week The Hollywood Reporter noted, “The film languished in development, and the plaintiffs claimed that the Weinsteins repeatedly unlocked the script, forcing rewrites at least 17 times.”
See additional reviews and rate "Escape from Planet Earth" on ok.com.
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Kids live to tell the...
- 'Glamping': What is it and where can you...
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Controversy and chaos erupt during...
- Alpine Days set for Aug. 5-13
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- Motherhood Matters: Lessons from PB&J
- Amy Iverson: How social media can hurt, help...
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful... 3
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- 'Glamping': What is it and where can... 2
- Controversy and chaos erupt during... 2
- Motherhood Matters: Lessons from PB&J 1
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be... 1
- UTubers: 2 Utah couples create... 1