Same old story: New animated film 'Escape From Planet Earth' recycles tired storytelling
The Weinstein Company
The animated motion picture “Escape From Planet Earth” arrived in theaters Feb. 15. Even though movie critics are generally conceding the film can be fun fare for kids and adults alike (it’s rated PG for action and some mild humor), many of those same critics are independently harping on the film’s obvious similarities to three fairly recent animated feature films: “Megamind” (2010), “Planet 51” (2009) and especially “Monsters vs. Aliens” (2009).
Indeed, below are several snips from movie reviews that explicitly make a connection between “Escape From Planet Earth” and “Monsters vs. Aliens.”
Digging a little deeper, any dearth of originality in “Escape From Planet Earth” can at least partially be attributed to the fact that control over the film’s artistic vision has spawned contentious, still-ongoing litigation between plaintiff filmmakers Brian Inerfeld and Tony Leech, and defendant distributor The Weinstein Company.
Last week The Hollywood Reporter noted, “The film languished in development, and the plaintiffs claimed that the Weinsteins repeatedly unlocked the script, forcing rewrites at least 17 times.”
See additional reviews and rate "Escape from Planet Earth" on ok.com.
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is better...
- 6-year-old 'Rapunzel' donates hair to...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s...
- The Clean Cut: This ATM gives people much...
- The Clean Cut: 3-year-old drumming prodigy...
- Two powerful forces make American... 27
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- 10 reasons a traditional marriage is... 19
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 15
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Utah’s... 14
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Many adults delay parenthood for these... 5
- Bills aim to bring marriage, family law... 4