Same old story: New animated film 'Escape From Planet Earth' recycles tired storytelling
The Weinstein Company
The animated motion picture “Escape From Planet Earth” arrived in theaters Feb. 15. Even though movie critics are generally conceding the film can be fun fare for kids and adults alike (it’s rated PG for action and some mild humor), many of those same critics are independently harping on the film’s obvious similarities to three fairly recent animated feature films: “Megamind” (2010), “Planet 51” (2009) and especially “Monsters vs. Aliens” (2009).
Indeed, below are several snips from movie reviews that explicitly make a connection between “Escape From Planet Earth” and “Monsters vs. Aliens.”
Digging a little deeper, any dearth of originality in “Escape From Planet Earth” can at least partially be attributed to the fact that control over the film’s artistic vision has spawned contentious, still-ongoing litigation between plaintiff filmmakers Brian Inerfeld and Tony Leech, and defendant distributor The Weinstein Company.
Last week The Hollywood Reporter noted, “The film languished in development, and the plaintiffs claimed that the Weinsteins repeatedly unlocked the script, forcing rewrites at least 17 times.”
See additional reviews and rate "Escape from Planet Earth" on ok.com.
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Utahn Sierra Dawn Thomas reflects on...
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- 21 things to look forward to at Disneyland's...
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may...
- Why exposing your children to another...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 167
- Erin Stewart: Why do men want 'strong'... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may... 6
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror... 5
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you... 4
- Why exposing your children to another... 3
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 3