Andrew Meehan, Canyons Ski Resort
SALT LAKE CITY — Turns out the warming temperatures and clear skies over Presidents Day weekend weren't marks of spring, but precursors to another winter storm.
A winter storm watch has been issued for the state starting Tuesday evening and lasting through Thursday morning. The storm has the potential to drop 1 to 2 feet of snow in some areas.
Utah's National Weather Service office warned mountain roads will become snow covered Tuesday, lasting through Thursday. It is the first in a string of three winter storms, likely to be followed by a weaker storm system this weekend and a stronger storm next weekend, NWS reported.
KSL Meteorologist Kevin Eubank said the storm will bring widespread snow and cold tempertures, while the core of the storm will move through central and southern Utah. Some of the storm will push up into the Wasatch Front, bringing lake effect snow Wednesday night and into Thursday.
Northern Utah can expect a drop in temperatures, with Tuesday's high of 40 degrees dropping to freezing by Thursday. Lows will stay in the 20s through the week.
As the snow began to move toward Utah, many reported seeing "solar halos," or apparent rings of light around the sun, which Eubank reported is a sign of an imminent storm, according to Native American traditions.
Sun halos are caused by ice crystals caught in thin cirrus clouds, like those over the state on Monday.
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held on $6...
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove garage;...
- Utahns stay out late to see lunar eclipse
- Southern Utah left wanting for water
- Was deal in City Creek shooting plot yanked...
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 50
- Police nab man suspected of gropings at... 31
- Will Josh Powell's family argue he... 28
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 23
- Lawmakers to BLM: Sending seized Nevada... 22