Winter watch warns of next series of snow-dumping storms
Andrew Meehan, Canyons Ski Resort
SALT LAKE CITY — Turns out the warming temperatures and clear skies over Presidents Day weekend weren't marks of spring, but precursors to another winter storm.
A winter storm watch has been issued for the state starting Tuesday evening and lasting through Thursday morning. The storm has the potential to drop 1 to 2 feet of snow in some areas.
Utah's National Weather Service office warned mountain roads will become snow covered Tuesday, lasting through Thursday. It is the first in a string of three winter storms, likely to be followed by a weaker storm system this weekend and a stronger storm next weekend, NWS reported.
KSL Meteorologist Kevin Eubank said the storm will bring widespread snow and cold tempertures, while the core of the storm will move through central and southern Utah. Some of the storm will push up into the Wasatch Front, bringing lake effect snow Wednesday night and into Thursday.
Northern Utah can expect a drop in temperatures, with Tuesday's high of 40 degrees dropping to freezing by Thursday. Lows will stay in the 20s through the week.
As the snow began to move toward Utah, many reported seeing "solar halos," or apparent rings of light around the sun, which Eubank reported is a sign of an imminent storm, according to Native American traditions.
Sun halos are caused by ice crystals caught in thin cirrus clouds, like those over the state on Monday.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 19
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14