LAYTON — A Layton father was killed Monday morning when his snow-covered carport collapsed on top of him.
Family members said John Eaves, 50, was an adventurer. He was trying to brace up the carport when it buckled under the weight of ice and snow. His 17-year-old daughter heard the crash and rushed outside, but the collapse proved fatal.
Layton City Fire battalion chief Scott Maughan said Eaves was dead when emergency crews responded to calls from his family about 9:15 a.m. Monday.
Crews recovered the body from beneath the carport, which had been built onto a rambler-style home on 2050 North, Maughan said. Only part of the carport was slanted to allow snow and to slide off, he said.
"It was flat and there was quite a bit of snow load on it at the point where it connected to the house," Maughan said. "There was quite a significant amount of snow and ice buildup."
When Travis Copier moved in to the Layton neighborhood, Eaves and his family were the first to welcome them.
"He's inspiring," Copier said. "He's an example of how every family should be and how you want your family to be."
John and Denise Eaves, married 28 years, have four children. He managed a restaurant in South Ogden, a job that appealed to his desire to be around people.
Brad Eaves said his father was his best friend, as well as his best man at his wedding.
"I don't know what I'm going to do without him now," Brad Eaves said. "He taught me everyhting I know."
Contributing: Dave Cawley, Andrew Wittenberg
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12