LAYTON — A Layton father was killed Monday morning when his snow-covered carport collapsed on top of him.
Family members said John Eaves, 50, was an adventurer. He was trying to brace up the carport when it buckled under the weight of ice and snow. His 17-year-old daughter heard the crash and rushed outside, but the collapse proved fatal.
Layton City Fire battalion chief Scott Maughan said Eaves was dead when emergency crews responded to calls from his family about 9:15 a.m. Monday.
Crews recovered the body from beneath the carport, which had been built onto a rambler-style home on 2050 North, Maughan said. Only part of the carport was slanted to allow snow and to slide off, he said.
"It was flat and there was quite a bit of snow load on it at the point where it connected to the house," Maughan said. "There was quite a significant amount of snow and ice buildup."
When Travis Copier moved in to the Layton neighborhood, Eaves and his family were the first to welcome them.
"He's inspiring," Copier said. "He's an example of how every family should be and how you want your family to be."
John and Denise Eaves, married 28 years, have four children. He managed a restaurant in South Ogden, a job that appealed to his desire to be around people.
Brad Eaves said his father was his best friend, as well as his best man at his wedding.
"I don't know what I'm going to do without him now," Brad Eaves said. "He taught me everyhting I know."
Contributing: Dave Cawley, Andrew Wittenberg
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit filed by...
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Farr West woman found dead in home, foul play...
- BYU student injured in bounce house accident...
- SUU mourns loss of aviation instructors...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 40
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 33
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 29
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14