LAYTON — A Layton father was killed Monday morning when his snow-covered carport collapsed on top of him.
Family members said John Eaves, 50, was an adventurer. He was trying to brace up the carport when it buckled under the weight of ice and snow. His 17-year-old daughter heard the crash and rushed outside, but the collapse proved fatal.
Layton City Fire battalion chief Scott Maughan said Eaves was dead when emergency crews responded to calls from his family about 9:15 a.m. Monday.
Crews recovered the body from beneath the carport, which had been built onto a rambler-style home on 2050 North, Maughan said. Only part of the carport was slanted to allow snow and to slide off, he said.
"It was flat and there was quite a bit of snow load on it at the point where it connected to the house," Maughan said. "There was quite a significant amount of snow and ice buildup."
When Travis Copier moved in to the Layton neighborhood, Eaves and his family were the first to welcome them.
"He's inspiring," Copier said. "He's an example of how every family should be and how you want your family to be."
John and Denise Eaves, married 28 years, have four children. He managed a restaurant in South Ogden, a job that appealed to his desire to be around people.
Brad Eaves said his father was his best friend, as well as his best man at his wedding.
"I don't know what I'm going to do without him now," Brad Eaves said. "He taught me everyhting I know."
Contributing: Dave Cawley, Andrew Wittenberg
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- LDS position on gay, religious rights may...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Streamlined FanX event is a win for Salt Lake...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Undercover operation seizes $600,000 in...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 205
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 165
- Romney decision not to run again... 48
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Rep. Chris Stewart says he's working on... 18