Davis County Sherriff
KAYSVILLE — A 20-year-old Kaysville man was sent home from an LDS mission to face accusations of child rape.
Brandon Scott Cordero is charged with two counts of rape of a child, both first-degree felonies, according to charges filed in 2nd District Court. Cordero is accused of having sexual contact with a girl under the age of 14 from November 2010 through May 2012.
The man's family indicated he left to serve a mission in August 2012 and returned home Feb. 4.
"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints condemns abuse of any kind," said church spokesman Scott Trotter in an official statement. "Elder Brandon Scott Cordero was released from his mission and sent home immediately when the charges against him came to light. The alleged abuse took place before his mission and had nothing to do with his calling as a missionary."
"Counseling and other Church resources will be available to the victim and family members to help in the healing process," Trotter said. "Church leaders will continue to cooperate with authorities in their investigation of this matter."
Family members said while Cordero has spoken to an LDS bishop about the incident, he did not confess to the rape charges, which they called inaccurate. The issue, they said, is between Cordero, his bishop and the authorities.
"He has demonstrated great faith in all this and that's what's keeping us strong," family members said.
Contributing: Sandra Yi
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A look at...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14