It’s true that in your own business there are no ready-made brands or support staff, but there is much outside support. Work with the Small Business Development Centers in your local area and the many other ventures designed to support entrepreneurs. For example, my own company, Grow America, is designed to create jobs by supporting entrepreneurs with a little extra cash and a lot of mentoring. Incubators, investors and industry associations can provide help in areas you lack expertise and also connect you to resources designed to help you grow.
Don’t worry if you haven’t come up with your big idea yet. But do get started on your dream of becoming your own boss today. Play to your strengths as you gain experience in all the areas of owning a business. I wish you success as you follow your heart. As always you can reach me via my personal website at www.AlanEHall.com or on Twitter via @AskAlanEHall. You can reach Grow America on Twitter at @GrowAmerica as well.
Alan E. Hall is a co-founding managing director of Mercato Partners, a regionally focused growth capital investment firm. He founded Grow Utah Ventures, is the founder of MarketStar Corp. and is chairman of the Utah Technology Council.
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low
- Target data breach: Credit monitoring will...
- Small town residents: Chevron pizza 'scandal'...
- David Sturt: Have you failed enough?
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Veteran news executive joins Deseret News
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 12
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 12
- Report: Utah made big money by keeping... 8
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 8
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 7
- Demolition underway on major downtown... 5
- Stericycle move to Tooele gets House... 4