It’s true that in your own business there are no ready-made brands or support staff, but there is much outside support. Work with the Small Business Development Centers in your local area and the many other ventures designed to support entrepreneurs. For example, my own company, Grow America, is designed to create jobs by supporting entrepreneurs with a little extra cash and a lot of mentoring. Incubators, investors and industry associations can provide help in areas you lack expertise and also connect you to resources designed to help you grow.
Don’t worry if you haven’t come up with your big idea yet. But do get started on your dream of becoming your own boss today. Play to your strengths as you gain experience in all the areas of owning a business. I wish you success as you follow your heart. As always you can reach me via my personal website at www.AlanEHall.com or on Twitter via @AskAlanEHall. You can reach Grow America on Twitter at @GrowAmerica as well.
Alan E. Hall is a co-founding managing director of Mercato Partners, a regionally focused growth capital investment firm. He founded Grow Utah Ventures, is the founder of MarketStar Corp. and is chairman of the Utah Technology Council.
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of high...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- XanGo seeks ouster of co-founder in new lawsuit
- Taking back family dinner: A healthy,...
- AIG CEO tells college graduates facing...
- Did you just win $590M? Get a good team in place
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- Writers offer personal finance advice... 30
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of... 11
- Obama: 'Our focus cannot drift' from... 9
- Obama opposes GOP bill on Keystone XL... 7
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 7
- West Davis Corridor project unveiled... 6
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong... 6