USU softball: Aggies close out weekend action with loss to No. 16 Arizona on Sunday
Utah State softball closed out weekend action in the Hillendbrand Invitational with a bout against host and No. 16 Arizona on Sunday. The Wildcats used several big innings to separate from USU, including an eight run third inning, to defeat the Aggies 13-1 in five innings.
Junior outfielder Rachael Hunsaker went 1-2 on the day against the high-powered Arizona pitching staff, including a RBI double in the top of the third inning that scored junior catcher Kelsi Webster.
Utah State used three pitchers in the circle on Sunday, starting for USU was freshman pitcher Noelle Johnson. Johnson surrendered five runs to the hard-hitting Wildcats and was charged with the loss. Johnson is now 0-4 on the season.
The Aggies fall to 0-10 on the season after two weeks of tournament action.
Utah State will look forward this next weekend’s action in Texas as the team travels to Austin for the Texas Invitational. The Longhorns will host the tournament. Action is set to start on Friday, Feb. 22, for USU as it opens with a matchup against Lamar.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35