UVU basketball: Wolverines to host non-conference game Monday night
OREM, Utah — The Utah Valley University men's basketball team will cap President's Day weekend Monday night as it hosts Pacific Union College in a non-conference matchup. Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. at the UCCU Center.
Monday's game stands as a quick turnaround for the Wolverines (12-14, 2-4 GWC) who played at NJIT in Newark, N.J., Saturday night. The Wolverines fell 63-55 to the Great West Conference-leading Highlanders.
Trailing by 10 with 10 minutes still showing on the clock, UVU opened a 6-0 run that whittled the lead down to just four with 6:34 left to play. Zach Jones got the spurt going with a bucket and Jason Johnson followed with four consecutive points. The rally would stop there, however, as NJIT was able to hold on for the win.
PUC competes at the NAIA Division II level and is a member of the California Pacific Conference. The Pioneers enter Monday's meeting off a 71-57 loss to California State University-Maritime.
Senior guard Will Bell leads PUC in scoring and assists, averaging 12.2 ppg and 2.6 apg. Marcus Carter, a senior guard, is the Pioneers' other double-digit scorer, putting up 11.9 ppg. Leading the team on the glass is freshman forward Ben Vincent with 5.8 rebounds per game.
"Pacific Union is a team who is closing out their regular season in Orem," UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. "That being said, we know that they will be bringing a lot of enthusiasm and energy to the court Monday night."
PUC will leave Orem and head straight for the opening round of the CalPac Tournament on Wednesday.
UVU is the second NCAA Division I opponent for the Pioneers this season, as PUC also paid a visit to Santa Clara of the West Coast Conference in early December.
The Wolverines hit the road again after Monday's game for their final road trip of the 2012-13 season. A GWC showdown with Houston Baptist awaits UVU on Saturday, followed by a non-conference meeting with North Dakota State of the Summit League the following Tuesday.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 57
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 56
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35