UVU basketball: Wolverines to host non-conference game Monday night
OREM, Utah — The Utah Valley University men's basketball team will cap President's Day weekend Monday night as it hosts Pacific Union College in a non-conference matchup. Tipoff is set for 7:05 p.m. at the UCCU Center.
Monday's game stands as a quick turnaround for the Wolverines (12-14, 2-4 GWC) who played at NJIT in Newark, N.J., Saturday night. The Wolverines fell 63-55 to the Great West Conference-leading Highlanders.
Trailing by 10 with 10 minutes still showing on the clock, UVU opened a 6-0 run that whittled the lead down to just four with 6:34 left to play. Zach Jones got the spurt going with a bucket and Jason Johnson followed with four consecutive points. The rally would stop there, however, as NJIT was able to hold on for the win.
PUC competes at the NAIA Division II level and is a member of the California Pacific Conference. The Pioneers enter Monday's meeting off a 71-57 loss to California State University-Maritime.
Senior guard Will Bell leads PUC in scoring and assists, averaging 12.2 ppg and 2.6 apg. Marcus Carter, a senior guard, is the Pioneers' other double-digit scorer, putting up 11.9 ppg. Leading the team on the glass is freshman forward Ben Vincent with 5.8 rebounds per game.
"Pacific Union is a team who is closing out their regular season in Orem," UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. "That being said, we know that they will be bringing a lot of enthusiasm and energy to the court Monday night."
PUC will leave Orem and head straight for the opening round of the CalPac Tournament on Wednesday.
UVU is the second NCAA Division I opponent for the Pioneers this season, as PUC also paid a visit to Santa Clara of the West Coast Conference in early December.
The Wolverines hit the road again after Monday's game for their final road trip of the 2012-13 season. A GWC showdown with Houston Baptist awaits UVU on Saturday, followed by a non-conference meeting with North Dakota State of the Summit League the following Tuesday.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- College football predictions: How will 2014...
- Ranking the best season by a quarterback in...
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars So'oto,...
- Peavler: Why the UConn game won't be a repeat...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- The good, the bad and the most likely:...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall,...
- Hollis column: How well will 'Big Five'...
- College football predictions: How will... 72
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 39
- True freshman Brad Kaaya beats out... 36
- Brad Rock: Five reasons Utes think... 35
- UCLA defensive end Kylie Fitts... 31
- BYU football: Taysom Hill's experience,... 30