Utah Jazz: Jeremy Evans flies high in Slam Dunk Contest again but settles for second place (+video)
For the second consecutive year, Jazz forward Jeremy Evans soared in the NBA Slam Dunk Contest.
This time, though, the guy nicknamed the "Human Pogo Stick" didn’t walk away with the championship.
With 58 percent of the fan vote, Toronto guard Terrence Ross beat Evans in the final round of the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest in Houston Saturday night.
Evans won last year’s slam dunk contest in Orlando.
In defense of his title, Evans used a pair of impressive dunks to advance to the championship round against Ross.
First, he pulled off a dunk over a seated Mark Eaton — albeit after several missed attempts — and then pulled off a simultaneous dunk using two balls — a trick he used to win in 2012 — to finish with an aggregate score of 90, pitting himself against Ross in the final.
Evans went first in the championship round and dunked over a covered easel. After making the attempt, he walked over and removed the black cover, revealing a picture of himself dunking, which he signed with a Sharpie.
Evans later threw down his second and final dunk authoritatively, but it wasn’t enough to overcome Ross, who paid homage to former Raptor high-flying slammer Vince Carter with one of his championship-round dunks.
Evans was crowned the NBA’s slam dunk champion in 2012 after wowing the crowd during All-Star Weekend in Orlando. At last year’s competition, the Jazz forward simultaneously dunked two balls tossed in the air by teammate Gordon Hayward. He also donned a Karl Malone jersey and threw down a dunk after jumping over comedian Kevin Hart, who was dressed up as a mailman.
Evans produced plenty of theatrics again in 2013, but this time around had to settle for second.
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early lead,...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth's knee...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 65
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 53
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24