1A High school girls basketball: St. Joseph caps perfect season with second-straight 1A title
When Panushka came out of the game with St. Joseph leading by 10 points, she embraced her coaches and teammates. But the first person she hunted down after the buzzer was the player who'd taken her place on the court — Shannon "Magic" Trout.
"She hasn't gotten a lot of time here in these close games," Cravens said. "She's the only other senior, and I wanted to get her in the game and honor her for being a senior."
Panushka said it was one of many moments she'll treasure.
"I was so happy Shannon got the time to play," said Panushka, who may play at Westminster. "She's been working so hard. ... I would go out for her anytime."
Panushka said finishing with a perfect record was icing on the cake.
"Both were amazing experiences," she said referring to last year's title, the first in school history. "I don't have words to describe either. I'm so happy this was my last game with St. Joe's, and that it ended this way. It was wonderful."
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star athletes...
- Utah Sports Ruckus: Grading the Jazz's...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Speculation begins about who the next Utah...
- Brad Rock: Jazz coaching hire — this...
- No timeline set to find Utah Jazz's new head...
- Rock On: Lighten up, Gordon Hayward
- Possible replacements as new Jazz coach
- U. student government passes resolution... 83
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 61
- Utah Jazz: Tyrone Corbin's contract... 56
- To serve or not to serve: BYU star... 41
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 26
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep... 24
- Speculation begins about who the next... 24
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 19