1 killed, 1 wounded, 1 arrested in Cedar City homicide
CEDAR CITY — One man was in custody for alleged drug possession, another dead and a woman remained in critical condition with a gunshot wound Saturday as police continued to investigate what they are now calling a homicide.
Cedar City police were called about 2 p.m. Friday on a report of a suicidal person at 386 N. 400 West. While officers were en route, they were told there had been gunfire. When they arrived, they found Thad Robertson outside the house. He told police one person inside had been shot and the second was likely armed with a handgun.
Police then evacuated nearby homes.
"They told us there was a shooting inside and an armed suspect inside. And that's what they told us when they came to the door," said neighbor Alexis Camizzi.
Later, a SWAT team moved in.
"You heard glass break and then you heard a boom," Camizzi said as SWAT members went inside the house.
Inside, they found a deceased man with multiple gunshot wounds and a woman who suffered an apparent gunshot wound, according to Cedar City police. The woman was flown to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray where she was listed in critical condition on Saturday.
A possible motive was still being investigated.
The names of the victims were not released Saturday as law enforcers said they were having difficulty locating next of kin. Neighbors, however, said if the victims are who they believe they are, Robertson is the boyfriend of the woman.
Neighbor Kent Mumford said the deceased man was a person who helped out everyone in the neighborhood.
"He helped a lot of these neighbors, plowed the snow in front of their homes for them," he said.
Robertson was arrested for investigation of methamphetamine possession, possession of a deadly weapon by a restricted person and possession of drug paraphernalia. Cedar City police Saturday said Robertson was "still listed as a person of interest" in the homicide case.
According to Utah state court records, a woman filed for a protective order against Robertson claiming cohabitant abuse in 2007. The woman is believed to be the same one that was shot Friday. The case was dismissed at the woman's request a couple of weeks later.
Robertson also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor DUI in 2001.
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Christmas I Remember Best: 'All this, and...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 91
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 54
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 18
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 17
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16