USU softball: Aggies come up short in second day of Hillenbrand Invitational action Saturday
In the second day of Hillenbrand Invitational action, Utah State softball took losses from Nebraska and Drake, falling to the Huskers 9-0 and the Bulldogs, 5-0. USU will close out its weekend action in Tucson, Ariz., with a game on Sunday against host-team and No. 16 ranked Arizona. In the opening game of the day, Nebraska used a two-run first inning to propel itself to a win. USU starting senior pitcher Mandy Harmon tallied six strikeouts in the meeting and surrendered six hits to the Huskers. Harmon was saddled with the loss, giving her a 0-5 record this season.
Nebraska erupted in the top of the sixth inning to add seven more runs to its total, pushing the final score to 9-0. The game was called after the sixth inning due to the run rule. The Husker pitching was too tough as the Aggies did not manage a hit in the six innings.
Closing out the day, the Aggies matched up against Drake, falling 5-0. Neither team could take control early as pitching and defense reigned through the first four innings of action.
The Bulldogs changed that by scoring four runs in the top of the fifth inning and added another run in the top of the sixth.
Utah State starting pitcher, freshman Noelle Johnson, worked six innings, striking out nine and allowing one run. Harmon appeared in the fifth inning and surrendered the first four runs. Harmon was charged with the loss and is now 0-6.
Offensively, the Aggies had four hits led by a pinch hit single by sophomore Amburlyn Orozco. With the pair of losses, Utah State falls to 0-10 this season.
USU concludes Hillenbrand Invitational action on Sunday as it takes on No. 16 Arizona. Game time is set for 1 p.m. (MT). Fans can follow all of the action through GameTracker, links will be available on the USU website. Fans can also tune in and watch the game live as Arizona will be streaming the game through its home website.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28