Herbert's signature makes Dixie State University official
ST. GEORGE — Utah officially has a new university.
On Saturday, Gov. Gary Herbert signed HB61, officially changing Dixie State College to Dixie State University.
"This is just a fabulous day — a seminal day. One that I think would make our ancestors elated," said Dixie State University President Stephen D. Nadauld while paying homage to the pioneers who settled the area more than 150 years ago.
Utah lawmakers sent HB61 to the governor's desk for signing earlier this week. The switch to university status followed years of preparation and, most recently, months of debate over the controversial name change.
Dixie State University becomes the sixth university in the Utah System of Higher Education and the the third open enrollment regional university in Utah along with Weber State University and Utah Valley University.
By having "university" status, Nadauld said it sends a message that a broad number of degrees are offered at the school, that there's a quality faculty working at the school, and a message to potential businesses looking to move to the St. George area that there's a pool of potential quality employees.
"'University' says training, says education, says preparation, says we can supply you with the educated work force your business needs to be successful," he said.
Saturday's signing was at the Dolores Dore’ Eccles Fine Arts Center at DSU before a full house.
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- New task force created to round up walkaways...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- IRS raids properties with possible... 18
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 17
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11