ST. GEORGE — Utah officially has a new university.
On Saturday, Gov. Gary Herbert signed HB61, officially changing Dixie State College to Dixie State University.
"This is just a fabulous day — a seminal day. One that I think would make our ancestors elated," said Dixie State University President Stephen D. Nadauld while paying homage to the pioneers who settled the area more than 150 years ago.
Utah lawmakers sent HB61 to the governor's desk for signing earlier this week. The switch to university status followed years of preparation and, most recently, months of debate over the controversial name change.
Dixie State University becomes the sixth university in the Utah System of Higher Education and the the third open enrollment regional university in Utah along with Weber State University and Utah Valley University.
By having "university" status, Nadauld said it sends a message that a broad number of degrees are offered at the school, that there's a quality faculty working at the school, and a message to potential businesses looking to move to the St. George area that there's a pool of potential quality employees.
"'University' says training, says education, says preparation, says we can supply you with the educated work force your business needs to be successful," he said.
Saturday's signing was at the Dolores Dore’ Eccles Fine Arts Center at DSU before a full house.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 110
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 39
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 27
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 25
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18