Dad charged with child abuse homicide in death of son on motorcycle
TAYLORSVILLE — A man who police say crashed his motorcycle while riding over 40 mph with his 1-year-old son on his lap with no helmet, has been charged with child abuse homicide.
Shannon Moore, 48, was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with child abuse homicide, a second-degree felony; unlawful motorcycle riding, having a minor on a motorcycle with no helmet and driving on a suspended license, all class C misdemeanors.
A $50,000 warrant was issued for his arrest Friday.
On Aug. 5, 2012, police say Moore was driving his motorcycle in the parking lot of the Bridgeside Apartment Complex, 4251 S. Bridgeside Way (700 West), with his 22-month-old son, Richard, on his lap.
Investigators estimated he was driving between 41 and 47 mph, accelerating and stopping. On one pass, in which police say he made a 90-degree turn, he "lost control of the vehicle and crashed," according to charging documents. Richard's unprotected head hit the curb and the motorcycle landed on top of the toddler. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The speed limit for the parking lot area is posted at 10 mph. Moore was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries.
Neighbors told police that Moore had driven around the parking lot with his son on his lap before, and "had been told by different people on separate occasions that his speeds were dangerous and that it was dangerous for (Richard) to be without a helmet," prosecutors wrote in their charges.
At the time of the crash, Moore did not have a valid driver's license.
Utah state court records show a woman filed for a protective order against Moore in January in a separate incident. He was convicted of misdemeanor DUI in 2011 and 1993, driving on a suspended license in 2005, and misdemeanor sex solicitation in 1995, according to court records.
- Bomb threat pushes back first day of school...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Couple struggling with fertility now...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for Amendment...
- Police investigate laser targeting aircraft...
- FBI director touches on Ferguson shooting,...
- Tooele woman sentenced to prison for son's...
- Man crashes minivan into flagpole outside...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 45
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah police agencies address... 32
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 23
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Elder Russell M. Nelson speaks to BYU... 20
- Condition of woman who drank toxic tea... 14
- First scores from SAGE testing expected... 13