RICHFIELD - No one knew just what to expect from the young Panguitch team this season, least of all their long-time coach.
"This is a great group of girls and to go out on a win is fun," said head coach Curtis Barney. "I think they way over-achieved winning the regular season championship." But the team showed it's youth in the Region 20 tournament, finishing third and drawing second-ranked Rich in the first round of the 1A state tournament Wednesday.
"That would have been a great semifinal match-up," Barney said. "But the brackets are the way they are, and they change every year. Getting a good spot does allow for a better draw and hopefully, you can go farther."
Barney isn't a fan of the Region 20 tournament, and theirs is the only region that plays a tournament to determine playoff seeding.
"I think you go in where you place in the region," he said. "But the girls did bounce back (after the Rich loss), and I think we have a lot to look forward to in the future."
He said the team is made up of smart, hard working, multi-sport athletes.
"Theyre are a lot of good, young, skilled athletes on the team, and hopefully this experience leaves a taste in their mouth for more next year," he said.
The Bobcats were led by Darri Frandsen, who scored a game-high 25 points. Whittni Orton and Taylor Bennett added eight points each and Chesney Campbell scored seven.
Duchesne was led by a youngster - freshman forward Mashaylee Giles who scored 11 points.
"It was a good season," said Eagle head coach Jared Torgerson. "It was good to end our season by coming here and staying all four days." He said the ride had been a bit "up and down," but pointed to the win over Monument Valley as a high point.
"That gave them a boost," he said. "They really came together and stepped up."
- Ranking the best rookie seasons in Utah Jazz...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Is Tyrone Corbin gone? Utah Jazz, coach's...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Jazz might be saying goodbye to their four...
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- Roster rundown: See the contract status and...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 91
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 59
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 56
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 54
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 54
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Doug Robinson: Basketball needs a new,... 24
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24