BYU gymnastics: Cougars finish third at Perfect 10 Challenge
OKLAHOMA CITY – The BYU women’s gymnastics team got off to a fast start but finished in third place with a 194.175 at the Perfect 10 Challenge in Oklahoma City on Friday night.
The Cougars finished behind No. 2 Oklahoma’s 197.450 and No. 16 Boise State’s 195.575. Texas Woman’s scored a 191.425 for a fourth-place finish.
“We have two home meets coming up and we need to push until the end,” head coach Brad Cattermole said. “We scored well on bars and I was happy with that but we just had an off night on beam. We’ll need to come home and regroup for the rest of the season now.”
BYU notched a season high on the bars to start the meet with a 49.050. Haylee Rollins tied a season best with a 9.875 and three more Cougars tied or set their career highs. Eliane Kulczyk scored a 9.825, Sarah Yandow Wensel posted 9.800 and Marguerite Lindstrom recorded a 9.750. Raquel Willman also added a 9.800.
The beam wasn’t as successful for the team with a few miscues. However, freshmen Summer Raymond impressed in her second career routine on the beam with an even better score than her first with a 9.825. Makenzie Johnson picked up a 9.775 and Willman added 9.750, but BYU scored just a 48.000 as a team.
On the floor exercise, the Cougars rebounded with a 48.750. Rollins led with a 9.825 and Wensel and Kulczyk grabbed matching 9.750’s. Megan Bain added a 9.725 and Willman scored a 9.700.
Wensel and Johnson had BYU’s highest scores on the vault with a pair of 9.775’s. Willman nabbed a 9.725 as the Cougars went on to finish the vault a team score of 48.375 en route to a third-place finish on the night.
Willman finished the all-around completion with a score of 38.975.
BYU returns to the Smith Fieldhouse to host Southern Utah on Saturday, Feb. 23 at 1 p.m. MST.
Kenny is a BYU graduate, currently working as a football media relations assistant and gymnastics SID at BYU. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on twitter @KennyCoxKC
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Morning links: Were the Utes the latest...
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 77
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35