SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man is accused of stealing $1,400 in cigarettes from a convenience store allegedly to support his heroin habit.
Police say Joseph Gillon, 32, threw a rock through the window of Top Stop, 1306 S. 2100 East, on Feb. 6. Gillon then entered the store and ran behind the counter to throw several packs and cartons of cigarettes into a green bag, according to charges filed Friday in 3rd District Court.
Gillon didn't make any attempts to open the cash register or take any other items from the store, charges state. He left the store through the broken window, according to charges.
Police say Gillon admitted to having robbed the same Top Stop store on Jan. 16 to support his heroin addiction.
He is charged with two counts each of burglary and criminal mischief, both third-degree felonies, and two counts of theft, a class A misdemeanor.
The combined amount of merchandise taken from the robberies was about $1,400, charges state. Damage to the window was estimated at $2,000 for each instance.
Gillon is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail on $15,000 bail.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 75
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 33
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17