Bill would make it a crime to share concealed weapons permit data with feds
SALT LAKE CITY — New gun legislation surfaced Friday to prevent the state's list of concealed weapons permit holders from being shared with the federal government.
HB317, sponsored by Rep. Jacob Anderegg, R-Orem, also would make it a third-degree felony to disclose the list, already kept private by state law.
Anderegg said he wants to put a stop to the federal government getting information on concealed weapons permit holders.
"I don't like the federal government knowing who has guns, when and where, and having a list they can go through," the freshman lawmaker said, adding it's "within the realm of possibilities" federal authorities could use the list to confiscate guns.
"I'm certainly not a conspiracy theorist. I have no idea what's going to happen," he said. "The Second Amendment is there to insure the citizenry can protect themselves from a tyrannical government."
Anderegg said the bill was also sparked by a New York newspaper publishing a list of concealed weapons permit holders and maps pinpointing where they lived after the deadly school shootings in Connecticut in December.
"It provides a blueprint for a criminal," he said of publishing such information.
Anderegg said the current misdemeanor penalty for releasing information on concealed weapons permit holders is "a slap on the wrist" and needs to be tougher.
"I just don't like anybody, whether it's a criminal or the federal government who takes away our guns," knowing who has them," he said, adding he owns no guns himself and does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
Anderegg said he considered expanding his bill to include information collected through the required background checks for gun buyers, but decided the federal government did need access.
"As much as I am for gun rights, there are crazy people out there," he said.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Ex-Tabiona High teacher sent to prison for...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Police break silence about controversial...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 52
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11