Bill would make it a crime to share concealed weapons permit data with feds
SALT LAKE CITY — New gun legislation surfaced Friday to prevent the state's list of concealed weapons permit holders from being shared with the federal government.
HB317, sponsored by Rep. Jacob Anderegg, R-Orem, also would make it a third-degree felony to disclose the list, already kept private by state law.
Anderegg said he wants to put a stop to the federal government getting information on concealed weapons permit holders.
"I don't like the federal government knowing who has guns, when and where, and having a list they can go through," the freshman lawmaker said, adding it's "within the realm of possibilities" federal authorities could use the list to confiscate guns.
"I'm certainly not a conspiracy theorist. I have no idea what's going to happen," he said. "The Second Amendment is there to insure the citizenry can protect themselves from a tyrannical government."
Anderegg said the bill was also sparked by a New York newspaper publishing a list of concealed weapons permit holders and maps pinpointing where they lived after the deadly school shootings in Connecticut in December.
"It provides a blueprint for a criminal," he said of publishing such information.
Anderegg said the current misdemeanor penalty for releasing information on concealed weapons permit holders is "a slap on the wrist" and needs to be tougher.
"I just don't like anybody, whether it's a criminal or the federal government who takes away our guns," knowing who has them," he said, adding he owns no guns himself and does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
Anderegg said he considered expanding his bill to include information collected through the required background checks for gun buyers, but decided the federal government did need access.
"As much as I am for gun rights, there are crazy people out there," he said.
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Video involving officer whose ear was nearly...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Woman dies after getting caught in...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 39
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 24
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 22
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 18
- What you need to know about the effort... 15