Democrats try to question Swallow, call for ethics reform
King said Utah has created a culture where campaign contributors have come to expect to have a say in public policy decisions. Large amounts of money, he said, have an "insidious and corrupting" influence.
House Speaker Becky Lockhart, R-Provo, said lawmakers have been very proactive on ethics issues in recent years, citing efforts to create the independent ethics commission to investigate complaints against members of the Legislature, as well as new restrictions on meals and gifts.
Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, has a bill to create an independent ethics commission in the executive branch — governor, attorney general, state treasurer and state auditor.
"What we've done seems to be effective," said Senate President Wayne Neiderhauser. "Of course, there's always something that might happen, and there is a process for us to deal appropriately and have public involved in that process."
The Sandy Republican said there's a "high probability" that Valentine's bill will pass this session.
Neiderhauser was less definitive on proposals to cap campaign donations, saying it has been debated before but that it could be debated again.
Neiderhauser also was careful not to mention Swallow in his comments on ethics reform. Senate Republicans, however, did familiarize themselves with the Utah's impeachment process after the allegations against Swallow surfaced and before the session started last month.
"If there comes an impeachment process, we act as judges. For us today to comment in any way upon the situation of the attorney general would be inappropriate," the Senate president said. "We need to remain as unbiased as possible if we're called on to do our constitutional duty. We believe in due process and the presumption of innocence."
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23