BYU football: Cougars reportedly close to hiring 2 more football coaches
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — It appears BYU is close to filling out its offensive coaching staff.
According to reports, Jason Beck, a former Cougar quarterback who has been the offensive coordinator at Simon Fraser University, will become BYU's new quarterbacks coach.
Meanwhile, it has also been reported that Guy Holiday, UTEP's receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, will be the Cougars' new receivers coach.
As of late Friday afternoon, BYU had not made any official announcements about hiring more coaches.
On Jan. 5, Robert Anae was re-hired as BYU's offensive coordinator. That was followed by the hiring of Mark Atuaia (running backs) and Garret Tujague (offensive line). Anae and Tujague will coach the offensive line together.
These changes are part of a complete overhaul of the offensive coaching staff. Brandon Doman, who served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach; wide receivers coach Ben Cahoon; and running backs coach/recruiting coordinator Joe DuPaix were all let go by coach Bronco Mendenhall. Offensive line coach Mark Weber took a similar job at Utah State. Longtime assistant Lance Reynolds, who coached the tight ends the past two seasons, retired after the season ended.
The Cougars announced the hiring of former BYU receiver Aaron Roderick to the staff a few weeks ago, but Roderick had a change of heart and decided to return to Utah.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 22
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13