BYU football: Cougars reportedly close to hiring 2 more football coaches
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — It appears BYU is close to filling out its offensive coaching staff.
According to reports, Jason Beck, a former Cougar quarterback who has been the offensive coordinator at Simon Fraser University, will become BYU's new quarterbacks coach.
Meanwhile, it has also been reported that Guy Holiday, UTEP's receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, will be the Cougars' new receivers coach.
As of late Friday afternoon, BYU had not made any official announcements about hiring more coaches.
On Jan. 5, Robert Anae was re-hired as BYU's offensive coordinator. That was followed by the hiring of Mark Atuaia (running backs) and Garret Tujague (offensive line). Anae and Tujague will coach the offensive line together.
These changes are part of a complete overhaul of the offensive coaching staff. Brandon Doman, who served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach; wide receivers coach Ben Cahoon; and running backs coach/recruiting coordinator Joe DuPaix were all let go by coach Bronco Mendenhall. Offensive line coach Mark Weber took a similar job at Utah State. Longtime assistant Lance Reynolds, who coached the tight ends the past two seasons, retired after the season ended.
The Cougars announced the hiring of former BYU receiver Aaron Roderick to the staff a few weeks ago, but Roderick had a change of heart and decided to return to Utah.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25