BYU football: Cougars reportedly close to hiring 2 more football coaches
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO — It appears BYU is close to filling out its offensive coaching staff.
According to reports, Jason Beck, a former Cougar quarterback who has been the offensive coordinator at Simon Fraser University, will become BYU's new quarterbacks coach.
Meanwhile, it has also been reported that Guy Holiday, UTEP's receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, will be the Cougars' new receivers coach.
As of late Friday afternoon, BYU had not made any official announcements about hiring more coaches.
On Jan. 5, Robert Anae was re-hired as BYU's offensive coordinator. That was followed by the hiring of Mark Atuaia (running backs) and Garret Tujague (offensive line). Anae and Tujague will coach the offensive line together.
These changes are part of a complete overhaul of the offensive coaching staff. Brandon Doman, who served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach; wide receivers coach Ben Cahoon; and running backs coach/recruiting coordinator Joe DuPaix were all let go by coach Bronco Mendenhall. Offensive line coach Mark Weber took a similar job at Utah State. Longtime assistant Lance Reynolds, who coached the tight ends the past two seasons, retired after the season ended.
The Cougars announced the hiring of former BYU receiver Aaron Roderick to the staff a few weeks ago, but Roderick had a change of heart and decided to return to Utah.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48